Transfer case problem...

Old 10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case problem...

Took my truck off-roading for the first time in 2+ yrs. I have the shift on the fly electronic option on my 98 F150. I put it in 4 Low to climb a hill and it wouldn't come out of 4 Low. The lights remain on regardless of where the switch is. I had to do a quick field fix so that I could get home so I removed the actuator motor and assembly and turned it over to 2H by hand. Does anyone know roughly how much a new actuator is and what all comes with the unit? Also after I removed the actuator the transmission OD light is blinking. I know the motor is shot because when i removed the casing, one of the magnets broke off. I put the assembly back where it belongs, just minus the motor. Anyone ever have this problem, or one similar?

Old 10-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent an hour at the dealership today trying to find figure my problem. I think I found my problem. Apparently there is a problem with the GEM module on 98 Model trucks. Is anyone familiar with this? Also my biggest problem is the actuator motor itself. Apparently they all have been revised. My old one has a single brown wire coming from the harness on the actuator motor up to the output housing on the TC. The new one does not have this. Does anyone know what this wire is for? I went ahead and cut the wire so that I could replace the motor. Anyone ever run into this problem as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case problem...