here is a cut and paste from ford media about 4r75e...:
ENHANCED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
Matched to the new 5.4-liter V-8 is a new 4R75E automatic transmission, an evolution of the 4R70E used on the current F-150. Upgraded to handle the torque of the 5.4-liter engine, this transmission shares patented upgrades with the 4R70E, which backs the 4.6-liter V-8:
* A redesigned torque converter improves launch performance and increases efficiency.
* A turbine speed sensor improves transmission control, providing the basis for fully electronic shift scheduling to limit "hunting" and to fine-tune shift speed and feel.
* Increased microprocessor speed improves responsiveness and precision of the control system.
* "Smart" fully electronic shift scheduling knows what the torque will be in the next gear so it chooses the shift points based on the vehicle's projected performance in the next gear.
* Coupled with the electronic throttle strategy, the transmission computes the output torque required to maintain the vehicle speed, and chooses the correct gear and converter state accordingly.
* A sealed case and lifetime transmission fluid make the transmission maintenance free, while adaptive pressure control maintains consistent shift feel over time.
By predicting the performance of the truck in the next gear, the computer-controlled transmissions provide a more sophisticated solution to heavy demands than a simple shift delay switch, such as the one-size-fits-all "towing mode" some competitors use.
Last edited by TroyK; 04-24-2004 at 03:49 PM.