Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1993 ford F150
e4od shuddering, jerking, bucking

I have a 93 Ford F150 that I bought 3 weeks ago. (87,000 Mi)
The problem is that when I level off accelerator and then accelerate it jerks, bucked and stalled once, shudders. Seems like a loss of power at times.

I thought it was the injectors. So I ran cleaner through, made a little difference, but still there.
I then had the fuel line flushed, changed the air filters, replaced pcv, changed oil, inspected brakes, changed plugs but not wires, cleaned everything I could safely do myself under hood.

Between 3 mechanics, I have 3 theories, all different.
One said fuel injectors,
Another said engine or tranny.
One other said that it may be a sensor in the e4od.
I don't know what to do next. I just want it to run right.

Any ideas?
What do you think this will cost?

Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Change the plug wires, that's a guess but I think it'll work. There are no real sensors in the E4OD, only the MLPS (manual lever position sensor or nuetral lockout) and the TOT (transmission oil temp), the neato sensors on the 4R100 didn't come out until 1998 for gassers. Any mechanic who can only say "engine or transmission" would make me a little wary, and the injector cleaner didn't fix it.

Just what I think,

G
Old 04-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150 4X4
Send a message via AIM to MROLDV8
Did you change the fuel filter?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Ferd F150
I know this thing is almost 10 months old but I was wondering if there was a resolution.

I have 95 that I just bought. It has a 351W with the same trans doing the identical thing. I found tonight it was a quart low. I'm hoping this did not damage the trans in anyway.

Plug wires and fuel filter seem to be the cheaper and easier way to go, I may try that, but I was wondering if you problem has been solved Dewman. I also would like to hear thoughts on it being a quart low.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Blown Expy
I wouldn't worry about it being one quart low. There is so much fluid in the trans & torque converter, I think it's fine.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks Jordan

I'm probably going to do the easy stuff before I tackle the trans.

Filter, Plugs, and Plug wires

I'll post my results in a couple of days.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Well good news...the bucking/shudder problem solved. But it took a couple of tries.

Replaced Plugs - No change
Replaced Plug wires - no change
Replaced Fuel filter - no change
Replaced cap and rotor - Bingo!

The cap was pretty trashed especially once I compared it to a new one. I'm a happy camper now. I'll probably do the pre cat o2 sensors in a little bit as I've been reading about mileage improvents and what not.

This site is AWESOME!

Thanks
Old 11-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 ford tbird
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The 302 and 351's seemed to be bad for EGR problems. Usually they just need cleaned out. I would definately give it a look.
Alan
Old 11-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 ford f150 4x4
shudder

Dewman,

I had a 91 with the same problem. I went about replacing everthing on the truck with no results. It finally ended up being the electric fuel pump. When the fuel in the tank was no sloshing around it ran fine, on take off or slowing down or turns, the truck would sputter and buck like a tranny problem or something. Electrical and fuel system replaced only to find out the fuel pump was on its way out. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyd0g
The 302 and 351's seemed to be bad for EGR problems. Usually they just need cleaned out. I would definately give it a look.
Alan
Is this the EGR valve on the 5.8L just on the lefts side where the throttle body bolts up?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Yes that is where it is located on the 5.8's They are the easiest to get to.
Alan
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Garage is empty, add now

If I pull the valve from the manifold will the holes be obvious. I've seen pix of new models but none of my vintage. I'm assuming that I can pull the valve and clean out the holes with out removing anything else, is that right?

I appreciate the help!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Yep just get a small brush and a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

2001 5.4L Red Screw with 35,000 mi. Just started to notice a "jerking" when speed reaches 45 mph. and engine wants to shift from 3rd to 4th. with slow acceleration. If I put my foot into it it will shift fine. Took truck into dealer and they could not duplicate the jerking but after running numerous system chks found #6 cyl to have "type A" misfire of 2.22% ( don't know what that means). They changed the coil pack for that cyl. and tested ok and sent me on my way. That was wednesday- thursday the jerking was there again (probably there all along). Going to take it in again monday and maybe offer to demo the jerking to them. Truck is under extended warrenty so I am ok there but from reading the forums I am wondering about this mysterious problem. I am leaning toward torque converter- truck has never towed anything and has had better then average care. Dealer just did 30,000 mi. service on it after which I drove it Minnesota to Tampa and back without any problems. Jerking started when I got back to the cold and snow.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford f 150
I have a 2005 f150 w/2000 miles on it and it does the same thing when shifting from 3 to 4th under light accelleration and a slight incline arounf 40 mph shuddering /shaking.. Push the petal down and no problem...havent called the dealer yet..HELP!!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:29 PM