Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help.

Ok. I've tried searching for this and I could not find it to save my life. I know the manual says to use 3.75 quart of Mercon ATF in my manual 5-speed transmission. What I'm asking is, how will I know when the tranny is full of ATF? Will the fluid just run out of the fill hole when it's full? Or do I have to measure exactly 3.75 quarts? Sorry for my ignorance, as this is my first time ever to do this.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:54 PM
peacemaker-
Proper fluid level should be about a 1/2" to 3/4" below the filler hole. hope this helps!

Old 06-14-2003, 09:44 AM
i just did my tranny fluid (99 4.6 5 speed).

when i went under the truck and took out the fill plug a slow trickle of fluid poured out of the top hole.

could have swore i read somewhere to fill till the same thing happened after draining.

thats what i did, i filled the fluid (pain in the butt) til a small trickle again came out. anyway, i new what the capacity was and that was real close to what i put back in.

thats what i have done in the past with other vehicles as well.

i think it would be real hard to judge 1/2 below the filler hole as the threads are pretty deep for the plug bolts.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info. You guys have been a big help.

Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Finally went and changed my tranny fluid.

I used almost 4 qts (3.75 qts) of Valvoline Max Life Dexron III/Mercon ATF. I figured since I use Valvoline Durablend motor oil, and had no problems with that, I'd better stick with Valvoline products. It says on the back of the container, that it exeeds requirements for Mercon, so I'm sure it'll work just fine. I can already feel the smoother shifting. Oh, and when I drained my old ATF out of the pan, it came out almost black! Well, grayish black actually. It was really used up at 30k miles. I'm just glad everything went ok. Talk about a pain in the freaking a$$ to change tranny fluid! I had to rig up a contraption just to pour it into the fill hole. I took a kerosene syphon pump, and cut the end off of it and taped it onto the spout of the ATF bottle with duct tape. Then poured it in. But I had to keep refilling the same bottle because I didn't feel like taping up a new bottle everytime.

Quick Reply: Need help.