Transmission cotrol switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR

OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR (in the Transmission)

This problem may not show up on the computer until it get real bad and screws up something else!

Mine was causing the EXACT problems as HillBilly. At 45-50 mph as my Van would shift to the higher gear, it would start to jerk and shudder. As I sped up it would stop. It got worse over time.

My mechanic took out this output speed sensor to order the part (which FORD didn't have at the time) cleaned it off and reconnected it, and the problem stopped. He said it is VERY easy to get to and only took a few mins to take out and clean.

Mechanic said it could have vibrated loose, or the connectors got dirty. The sensor may still go bad, but since the jerking and shuddering is totally gone, I just set the replacement sensor in the garage.

This is a $38 part, that if looked at, can save you a world of misery, since you can never recreate the problem for the mechanic, it won't show up on the "check engine light", and your mechanic will look at all kinds of other fixes.

Change out or CLEAN the OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR first!

Mechanics will NEVER think of this!

Last edited by Ford E350; 05-22-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Sigh.....

Another noob resurrects a thread that was dead for FOUR YEARS.

Gotta be a Lazarus award for this one..

Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
hi i had the same problem ehen in od it felt like the wake up strips on the side of the road my friend owns a tranny shop and he took it or a test drive and found it was the tork converter slipping he replaced it and a band or two truck runs fine

Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey, I'm having a similar problem with my dad's truck. Its an '01 F-150 with the 4.6 Triton in it, with 190k miles on it. The only problems we've had with it have been the idle control solenoid, and a coil pack. Other than that, it's been relatively trouble free. So yes, it shudders in overdrive once you hit like 30mph in the city, and on the highway, accelerating sucks. When you only want to change speed a little bit, the torque converter doesnt want to slip like it should, and then the truck shudders. If you tap the gas a couple times, it will unlock and accelerate like normal without downshifting.

Yes, I'm a noob.

Quick Reply: Transmission cotrol switch