Towing & Hauling

Slide in campers

Old 05-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slide in campers

I am looking to by a slide in camper for my F150. It is a 4.6, auto, 4x4 with the tow package. I also tow a boat when camping. I am looking at 8' non-self contained (pop up type pref.). Will the truck handle it and am I looking at the right sizes?

Old 05-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi Nick Welcome! Nice state etc.

Yes, there are several brands/models that will work on your truck. Because they are light wt. and low profile.. IMO..i dont think additional suspension mods would be needed. 4wheel has email, you could clarify that.

I looked at one from www.fourwheelcampers.com

Did see these live...nice pop-ups etc including $$, but are really well built. short bed/long bed...basic model to upscaled models.

Palomino.....Starcraft? Maybe more? Sorry...no address.

Good luck...OT

Old 05-30-2002, 11:47 PM
I tow a 8 foot Edson ( i think early 80's) and a 1250lbs aluminum fishing boat for camping etc. I have no issues with the suspension in my 99 f150 XL 4.6 4x4 3.55 gears. I bought a very sturdy belly bar to hold the camper on and it was great. When i first put it on i had the goodyear wrangler tires ( 255 70 16) and it was pretty wobbly. i thought it was suspension problem. I bought some LT265 75 16s and voila...quite acceptable. Beware of larger tires. Im stuggling with the tranny switching times according to tire size so im lacking a huge amount of power. Ill keep an eye on this post since id like to know how yours does for power. Have a look at some of my posts in this towing section (no power) as well as engine section ( engine ping)
happy camping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slide in campers