Towing & Hauling

2014 F-150 Ecoboost owner with some questions about towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
One more thing - the "dry" weight of my trailer is supposed to be about 3000# - and this includes all the factory installed options it came with, a battery, and two full propane tanks. Again, I weighed it separately on a CAT scale and it is 3500# with NO water in the fresh water tank. With water, it weighs about 3800# which is its Max Gross Weight. So, I do not put cargo in it other than clothing, bedding, eating and cooking utensils, and I generally tow it with the fresh water tank empty. I also upgraded the trailer tires to Load range D, giving them a max load of 5000#.

I think the OP would be well advised to weigh his trailer. He might be unpleasantly surprised at its actual weight.

- Jack
I agree, before buying the receiver get at least the tongue weight checked.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
With a GVWR of 7350#, the only way you are going to get close to towing 9200# is if the truck is empty except for driver and tank of gas. How many people tow a travel trailer that way? I'm betting there will be people, pets, luggage, and other stuff in the truck.

Before you buy the trailer and hitch, load up the truck and the bed the way you would when towing the trailer, fill the gas tank, and go run over a scale. Subtract the weight from 7350#, the answer will be how much the hitch AND the trailer tongue can weigh.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE=RSTHD150;5197278]No fight being picked here bro! I know that there will be a slight difference in weight meaning sticker and wet as they call it on bikes. However with my HD PAYLOAD PACKAGE, I am able to go up to 2500# payload with a gvwr rating of 8200#. They limit the amount of excessive technology in mine to accommodate the load. I got all of the op's information through the vin decoder. I think that op does have a soft suspension and it could be stiffened up with a add leaf and bags to improve the performance of towing. Also with the wdh for a 3000# trailer you are trading payload for levelness that you could get out of a set of bags. Handling would be superior as well as ride quality. Also would allow you to gain more flexibility in the payload department. Yet another thing I noticed is you stated you had a tonneau cover, op doesnt as far as I know so between the wdh and cover you are at approx 400-500# difference. Just pointing out the differences between his truck and yours. ...<snip>.../QUOTE]

I just want to comment on the points in your post that I "bolded".

My truck's "Delivered" weight was on the order of 700-800# higher than the "Base" weight. It tips the scales at 6420# with just me, the bed cap and a tank of gas in it. This is due to "optional" things like 4WD, Trailer Tow Package, retractable running boards, bigger tires and wheels and so on. As a result, my load carrying capacity is more like 900# or slightly less. I don't know what optional equipment he has, besides 4WD, but I'm sure he has some, and it will reduce his load carrying capacity too.

The purpose of the WDH is NOT to simply "level" the truck. It transfers some of the tongue weight forward to the front axle of the truck. Ideally, it transfers half of that tongue weight forward. If this is not done, the rear axle and tires are grossly overloaded and adding air bags or springs will not remove that excess weight. If his trailer weighs 6000#, the tongue weight will be on the order of 750-900#. That weight has to be carried by BOTH axles on his truck to prevent poor steering, ineffective braking due to the trailer's nose "diving" during braking, and excessive stress on the rear axle and tires in his truck.

I think my WDH is about 70# (I know I can easily carry it). And, I can lift the bed cap on my shoulders if I get in the bed, so I estimate it at about 200#. Two people can carry it.

To the OP - PLEASE, do not try to compensate for the tongue weight with springs or air bags. You MUST use a WDH!

- Jack

Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by glc
With a GVWR of 7350#, the only way you are going to get close to towing 9200# is if the truck is empty except for driver and tank of gas. How many people tow a travel trailer that way? I'm betting there will be people, pets, luggage, and other stuff in the truck.

Before you buy the trailer and hitch, load up the truck and the bed the way you would when towing the trailer, fill the gas tank, and go run over a scale. Subtract the weight from 7350#, the answer will be how much the hitch AND the trailer tongue can weigh.
The whole point of owning a trailer isn't to load the truck up. So yes your first paragraph is correct! If you invest $30,000 in a TT, why would you stowe your belongings in the bed? That's why they create cubbys and refrigerators in the TT.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:24 AM
[QUOTE=JackandJanet;5197312]
Originally Posted by RSTHD150
No fight being picked here bro! I know that there will be a slight difference in weight meaning sticker and wet as they call it on bikes. However with my HD PAYLOAD PACKAGE, I am able to go up to 2500# payload with a gvwr rating of 8200#. They limit the amount of excessive technology in mine to accommodate the load. I got all of the op's information through the vin decoder. I think that op does have a soft suspension and it could be stiffened up with a add leaf and bags to improve the performance of towing. Also with the wdh for a 3000# trailer you are trading payload for levelness that you could get out of a set of bags. Handling would be superior as well as ride quality. Also would allow you to gain more flexibility in the payload department. Yet another thing I noticed is you stated you had a tonneau cover, op doesnt as far as I know so between the wdh and cover you are at approx 400-500# difference. Just pointing out the differences between his truck and yours. ....../QUOTE]

I just want to comment on the points in your post that I "bolded".

My truck's "Delivered" weight was on the order of 700-800# higher than the "Base" weight. It tips the scales at 6420# with just me, the bed cap and a tank of gas in it. This is due to "optional" things like 4WD, Trailer Tow Package, retractable running boards, bigger tires and wheels and so on. As a result, my load carrying capacity is more like 900# or slightly less. I don't know what optional equipment he has, besides 4WD, but I'm sure he has some, and it will reduce his load carrying capacity too.

The purpose of the WDH is NOT to simply "level" the truck. It transfers some of the tongue weight forward to the front axle of the truck. Ideally, it transfers half of that tongue weight forward. If this is not done, the rear axle and tires are grossly overloaded and adding air bags or springs will not remove that excess weight. If his trailer weighs 6000#, the tongue weight will be on the order of 750-900#. That weight has to be carried by BOTH axles on his truck to prevent poor steering, ineffective braking due to the trailer's nose "diving" during braking, and excessive stress on the rear axle and tires in his truck.

I think my WDH is about 70# (I know I can easily carry it). And, I can lift the bed cap on my shoulders if I get in the bed, so I estimate it at about 200#. Two people can carry it.

To the OP - PLEASE, do not try to compensate for the tongue weight with springs or air bags. You MUST use a WDH!

- Jack
That makes sense jack in regards to not knowing what equipment is on his truck. The whole nose dive instance is true in regards to improper braking and handling, but from what I've experienced in towing is that if you are tongue heavy, you take the weight off of the front of the truck creating a light front end which ultimately end up in what you have described. However correcting this action by properly loading a trailer and having adequate equipment to tow said trailer does make all the difference. I wouldn't tow a 7000# trailer with a 4cyl Tacoma lol. I used to team drive and load trailers for a living, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt if you prefer.

Edit: also jack with the bigger wheels and tires, it's more rotational mass. It has no effect in payload, however bigger wheels and tires and not re gearing means you are tearing the truck in two different directions.

Last edited by RSTHD150; 06-28-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Jack this is some good info. Thanks for the tip in the wdh, not a piece of equipment I am familiar with but good info on this link.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-9834.html

Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I totally agree with you regarding putting the load into the trailer (if you can). In my case, because the "empty" weight of the trailer is 3500# and the max gross weight of the trailer is 3800#, I don't really have that luxury. My tongue weight with an empty trailer is about 420#, and if I FILL the fresh water tank, the added 300# of water increases the tongue weight to about 570# (because the tank is about half way between the trailer axle and the hitch coupling.) Again, I never tow with a full water tank.

Now, I agree too that the OP should be able to load things in his trailer so that the weight is properly distributed, and, if he does, it won't increase his hitch load horrendously. But, he still needs to transfer 12-15% of that added weight to the hitch for proper sway control. So, each 1000# of cargo would increase the hitch load by 120-150#.

It's too bad really. The F150 can certainly "pull" a LOT of weight. It's got a powerful engine and strong transmission. If he could tow a trailer with a tow strap, he'd be golden. But, the suspension and running gear in the 150 is the weak link. I'd be happier if he had an F250.

You're absolutely right about my larger wheels and tires regarding payload, but they were OEM and factory installed with the Platinum option. And they do add to the gross weight of the vehicle. The "Base Gross Weight" is listed as around 5500# as I recall. Its Max Gross Weight rating is about 7200# and I have to respect that too.

Edit: I'm pretty sure all vehicle manufacturers state all these weight limits in such a confusing manner so that they are legally protected, but the emphasized numbers "sound" like the vehicles are more capable than they are.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 06-28-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 F-150 Ecoboost owner with some questions about towing