Towing & Hauling

Mountain towing with Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain towing with Ecoboost

I have a 2014 F150 w/Ecoboost, MaxTow, and HD package pulling a 6500# wet travel trailer. I've pulled it for a year in Florida and Alabama but no mountain towing yet; so far, towing has been great. I'm planning a trip to Colorado and Utah this summer and have a question. Do most of you put it in tow-haul mode and go on your merry way going up and down steep grades or use the manual shift? I've never used the manual shift so don't know how it works in actual practice. I'm not so much worried about uphill but downhill with curves. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardi
I have a 2014 F150 w/Ecoboost, MaxTow, and HD package pulling a 6500# wet travel trailer. I've pulled it for a year in Florida and Alabama but no mountain towing yet; so far, towing has been great. I'm planning a trip to Colorado and Utah this summer and have a question. Do most of you put it in tow-haul mode and go on your merry way going up and down steep grades or use the manual shift? I've never used the manual shift so don't know how it works in actual practice. I'm not so much worried about uphill but downhill with curves. Thanks.
Edward, you'll probably have to drop your transmission into 2nd gear going down steep downgrades if you want to control the speeds without riding the brakes. In my experience, it won't drop into 2nd gear unless you reduce the speed quite a bit first. Yes, I'd use Tow/Haul mode.

I've not HAD to use the manual shift feature yet, although I HAVE tried it to see how it works.

- Jack

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edward;
We have a '13 XLT HD Ecoboost. 90% of our travels are in and around the Southern Rockies of Southwestern Colorado. We travel up & down elevations between 7 & 10,000 ft.
The truck is in tow/haul mode from the time the 5er is hooked up till it's unhooked.
Here is what I do.
When going down any grade 6% or greater that is 2 or 3 mile long or more, I slow the truck down before the decent starts to 10-15 mph slower than speed limit and manually use the shift button and start shifting down the transmission till I get to 3rd gear. If speed builds back up to speed limit I will brake to get it back down. Have on occasions had to go all the way down to 2nd but not very often. 2nd will slow that sucker down. This works for me.

Milo

Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It really depends on the particular road conditions that dictate if you "should" or "shouldn't" use it.. I turn it on and off as needed for my comfort level.

I won't go into all the details of it, but I don't really like the TH going down hill (or cruise control either).. Lets just say I know not to ride the brakes all the way down a hill and like to manually control the gears and use the brakes within reason..

I don't shift into M. I just used the Select Shift option and it's what works for me on the grades that I travel on.

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Mountain towing with Ecoboost