Towing & Hauling

2013 f150 factory electric brake controller problem? help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 f150 factory electric brake controller problem? help please

I have a 2013 f150 super crew, eco boost. factory tow package, i was always wondering why i could never feel the electric brakes back there. you tell me if this is okay or not. i have a 2010 12000lb dump trailer, it weighs 2300 lb's empty. with it empty driving about 20 mph with gain set on 10, if i push the electric brake controller all the way over i can feel it slowing my truck down a little on flat ground. not much braking though. if i'm sitting still and i put my truck in drive it will hold my truck, but if i touch the gas it starts moving, does the same thing with my 2015 27ft tow hauler, takes a little more gas but the tow hauler weight is 7,000lb's. my wifes Tahoe has a after market Reese brake controller, with the gain set on 4 it litterally locks the brakes up on the tow hauler if i push the electric brake controller all the way over. I'm scared because my dad lives on a huge hill that's a rock road and i'm wanting to get get about 8,000 lb's of wood and the go down this hill. anyone else having their factory brake controller act like this? Is this normal? are the brakes actually working better when i press the brake pedal than when i'm using the brake controller? I'm going to start off with a small load of wood first maybe a ton, and see how it act's and maybe go from there, but i would like some input on this please. my truck only has 22k miles on it and is still under warranty. maybe i should get it checked, Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by damage618; 09-11-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by damage618
I have a 2013 f150 super crew, eco boost. factory tow package, i was always wondering why i could never feel the electric brakes back there. you tell me if this is okay or not. i have a 2010 12000lb dump trailer, it weighs 2300 lb's empty. with it empty driving about 20 mph with gain set on 10, if i push the electric brake controller all the way over i can feel it slowing my truck down a little on flat ground. not much braking though. if i'm sitting still and i put my truck in drive it will hold my truck, but if i touch the gas it starts moving, does the same thing with my 2015 27ft tow hauler, takes a little more gas but the tow hauler weight is 7,000lb's. my wifes Tahoe has a after market Reese brake controller, with the gain set on 4 it litterally locks the brakes up on the tow hauler if i push the electric brake controller all the way over. I'm scared because my dad lives on a huge hill that's a rock road and i'm wanting to get get about 8,000 lb's of wood and the go down this hill. anyone else having their factory brake controller act like this? Is this normal? are the brakes actually working better when i press the brake pedal than when i'm using the brake controller? I'm going to start off with a small load of wood first maybe a ton, and see how it act's and maybe go from there, but i would like some input on this please. my truck only has 22k miles on it and is still under warranty. maybe i should get it checked, Thanks in advance for any input.
Welcome to the forum, damage618! Since you're concerned, I'd recommend go ahead and making an appointment at your dealer for diagnosis. If possible, try to recreate these symptoms for your tech by taking them on a test drive. Be sure to return here and tell us how things went. I'll be able to check out some ways to assist once your dealership has looked things over.

Crystal

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, damage618! Since you're concerned, I'd recommend go ahead and making an appointment at your dealer for diagnosis. If possible, try to recreate these symptoms for your tech by taking them on a test drive. Be sure to return here and tell us how things went. I'll be able to check out some ways to assist once your dealership has looked things over.

Crystal
thanks for the reply, but after further investigation, my tow hauler actually locks the brakes up with my truck hooked to it, so im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my truck. here is what is happening on my dump trailer, after adjusting the brakes on it. the drivers side front tire will slide in rocks, the rest are not doing much of anything, im getting 12 volts to all of the electric brakes, and they are adjusted, i'm not sure whats next to be honest.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
<p>
thanks for the reply, but after further investigation, my tow hauler actually locks the brakes up with my truck hooked to it, so im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my truck. here is what is happening on my dump trailer, after adjusting the brakes on it. the drivers side front tire will slide in rocks, the rest are not doing much of anything, im getting 12 volts to all of the electric brakes, and they are adjusted, i'm not sure whats next to be honest.
</p><p>You need to pull the wheels and drums off the trailer and check their condition. I've had three different electric brake assemblies fail (essentially, they fell apart) on my trailer. A quick check that doesn't involve taking wheels off is to jack up one side of the trailer and then trip the breakaway switch on the trailer. With it open, you should not be able to spin the wheels by hand at all. Do the same thing for the other side of the trailer. Don't leave that switch open, because it will quickly kill your trailer's breakaway battery.</p><p>- Jack</p>

Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the reply, but after further investigation, my tow hauler actually locks the brakes up with my truck hooked to it, so im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my truck...
I'm glad your truck is fine, damage618; thanks for following up and letting me know. Good luck with diagnosing. Perhaps some other folks will chime in with additional assistance.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2013 f150 factory electric brake controller problem? help please