Towing & Hauling

Do you need air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you need air bags?

if you are experiencing any type of squat at all while towing, you may need air bags!

http://www.airliftcompany.com/worksh...is-not-normal/

Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM
First off - I'm all for air bags. They have their proper uses and I wish I could afford them.

That said, I don't like your marketing gimmicks.
Lets look at a few of your claims...

Poor Braking and Steering
Front tires account for the majority of braking power and steering. When the weight of the vehicle is primarily on the rear tires, and not distributed to all four tires, braking and steering can become compromised.
Actually with modern brakes the braking is more balanced. Trucks no longer use proportional valves to reduce the pressure to the rear wheels. Instead, with 4 wheel ABS, the full brake pressure is supplied to all wheels and if you exceed the stopping force on the rear wheels due to a light rear end (no load) then ABS activates. So your claim that most of the braking is done by the front is no longer valid.

And just because you raise the rear end with your airbags it does not adjust the weight balance. If you have a heavy trailer on your hitch the weight is still on the rear wheels, it just "looks" like its better balanced because you changed the suspension.

The proper fix for this condition is to use a Weight Distribution hitch and to only pull a trailer that is within the specs for the truck.

Rough Ride
Minor bumps and dips in the road are amplified when your vehicle is loaded – making your drive uncomfortable.
Actually adding weight to the bed will smooth out your ride, assuming you are within limits and not sitting on your bump stops. The higher weight increases the inertia of the truck so that the bumps are absorbed by the shocks without moving the truck frame/body.

Anyone that has hauled a load of dirt or mulch knows this.

(the exception is if your truck is over-loaded and you are sitting on your bump-stops... then of course its gonna be a rough ride)

Bottoming Out
As your trailer and vehicle shift from bumps in the road, the weight change can be so drastic that it causes your vehicle to bottom out.
A properly loaded truck, driven properly for the road conditions, should not bottom out.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 AM
air lift product differences

whats the difference between the airbags 57200, or the bags that sit on your springs . to me they do the same job. when would i use one vs the other? lets say for this towing application, 8000# TT with a '12 f150 5.o

Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
tbaz, as mkosu said, there IS a proper use for airbags, but compensating for the tongue weight of an 8000# trailer is not one of them.

If you were to attach a utility trailer to your truck, with a tongue weight in the 300# range (the trailer would maybe weigh 2000-3000#), then you might not use a WDH and airbags would be able to correct the "squat" at the rear end that might effect your steering and would certainly point your headlights too high.

Or if you went to your home improvement store and loaded your bed with 800-1000# of concrete or bricks, then airbags would again compensate for the squat and would make the trip home more pleasant.

However, in BOTH cases, as mkosu said, the extra weight is still being carried on the rear axle and tires. You need to respect that axle's weight limits, which is found on your door sticker (as I told you in another thread).

But, if you tow an 8000# trailer with its tongue weight of between 800-1200#, airbags are NOT the answer - you need a WDH! AND, as I mentioned before, your truck may well be able to "pull" 8000#, but that tongue weight may exceed your vehicle's suspension limits. An F150 is not classed as a 1/2 ton pickup for no reason.

- Jack

Old 06-21-2015, 03:17 PM
thanks , I do have a WDH and I do place things in the back when not pulling a TT, if someone can answer the question about the difference id love to hear it. I use to pull with a 5.4 just fine with airbags , now I am just curious about the difference in the 2 systems.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by tbaz
whats the difference between the airbags 57200, or the bags that sit on your springs . to me they do the same job. when would i use one vs the other? lets say for this towing application, 8000# TT with a '12 f150 5.o
The 57200 is intended for 5000 pounds of support where the 59568 kit is designed for 2000 pounds of support.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
tbaz, as mkosu said, there IS a proper use for airbags, but compensating for the tongue weight of an 8000# trailer is not one of them.

If you were to attach a utility trailer to your truck, with a tongue weight in the 300# range (the trailer would maybe weigh 2000-3000#), then you might not use a WDH and airbags would be able to correct the "squat" at the rear end that might effect your steering and would certainly point your headlights too high.

Or if you went to your home improvement store and loaded your bed with 800-1000# of concrete or bricks, then airbags would again compensate for the squat and would make the trip home more pleasant.

However, in BOTH cases, as mkosu said, the extra weight is still being carried on the rear axle and tires. You need to respect that axle's weight limits, which is found on your door sticker (as I told you in another thread).

But, if you tow an 8000# trailer with its tongue weight of between 800-1200#, airbags are NOT the answer - you need a WDH! AND, as I mentioned before, your truck may well be able to "pull" 8000#, but that tongue weight may exceed your vehicle's suspension limits. An F150 is not classed as a 1/2 ton pickup for no reason.

- Jack
Could not agree more Jack. We never recommend exceeding the OEM load and towing ratings. Our bags are designed to HELP support a load, not turn a 1/2 ton truck into a 1 ton.

Last edited by AirLiftCompany; 06-25-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Could not agree more Jack. We never recommend exceeding the OEM load and towing ratings. Are bags are designed to HELP support a load, not turn a 1/2 ton truck into a 1 ton.
Thank you - and I hope you didn't think I was disparaging your product. They are an excellent option when used appropriately.

- Jack

Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Thank you - and I hope you didn't think I was disparaging your product. They are an excellent option when used appropriately.

- Jack
No not at all! I have seen my share of people using bags incorrectly and it is pretty scary!

Quick Reply: Do you need air bags?