Towing & Hauling

Trailer brake control wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake control wiring harness

Today i went to install a after market trailer brake controller in my 2014 F150 STX, when i went under the dash to get the wiring harness to plug into i noticed it was not there, What i did find was a box for my remote start there instead (also aftermarket). long story short i pulled the whole under my steering dash apart and looked everywhere for the harness and could not find it and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or know where they could have put the har,ness when they installed the remote started

Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It's possible they have stopped preinstalling the harness to save a few pennies. You may need something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ler/ETBC7.html

Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 PM
I've seen the trailer brake controller wiring harness hacked into for other purposes like remote start. Maybe that is what happened to yours.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
thanks for the response, if this is what they did they will be installing a brake controller of my choice on them, i was supposed to pick up a 7000# tt tomorrow but that is now not going to happen. i don't understand the thought of the installer of the remote start to cut a brand new harness out that is used often by people who use their trucks.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
I got a wiring kit and instructions on how to install a after market controller with the truck, but the harness connection in the instructions was not where it said it would be

Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Did the truck come with the factory towing package? If not, the wiring might not be there.

Have you considered getting the OEM Ford controller? It does a better job than any of the aftermarket controllers because it integrates with the rest of the drivetrain electronics. You may want to look to see if the connector for that is behind the pocket where it mounts. If you do go that way, it will take a trip to the dealer to get the PCM flashed to use it.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Yes my truck has towing package it has a upgraded radiator, trans cooler, and class iv hitch(i think), i will have to look into that OEM controller

Quick Reply: Trailer brake control wiring harness