Towing & Hauling

MPG while towing the Ranger home

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink MPG while towing the Ranger home

Since hunting season is over for me now, I brought my Polaris Ranger HD home from my place in Burlington, West Virginia. It's a 265 mile trip to my home here in Delaware. The first half is all mountains and hills. The last half is a bit hilly then flat. I have an enclosed trailer I use to tow it with. The trailer is a 7x14 Homesteader Challenger. It's a V-nose tandem axle that I had custom built to have a 7' door so I could get the Ranger in. So it's quite tall. I'm estimating the trailer (2,020 lbs.) loaded with the Ranger (1,250 lbs.) and it's gear is around 3,500 lbs. or so. I had maybe 250 lbs. or so of gear in the rear of the truck and in the bed. The trip home - I was running a 5-star 91oct. Tow tune on my Livewire. It was very nice weather, temps varied from 32 deg. to 70 deg. as I got closer to home. I was in some lite crosswinds. My average once I got home was 11.6 mpg. The instant MPG started out at like 8 mpg in the mountains. Once I got on the hilly highways it started to level out. By the time I was on flat roads I hit the 11.9 mpg mark. Just for a moment I hit 12 mpg. But that didn't last. It finally leveled off, bouncing at 11.6-11.7 mpg. And that's what the average on my "B" trip ended up being. The "B" I use "Per Trip". So I don't think that's too shabby for towing a 9'10" tall wall behind me. In fact on all but the highest down grades I didn't even have to hit the brakes to slow. Now That's Drag.....

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-11-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What engine and what gearing and what kind of speed were you driving? Did you use Tow/Haul mode or just standard?

Nice Toy!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Wink

ooooops, sorry. Guess you can't see the badge. Custom ordered '11 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 6.2 with Max Tow and 3.73LS gears. Cruise set at 60 mph, with a few stints of 65-70 mph to pass slower traffic. Used Tow/Haul in the mountains, and locked out 6th. gear on the longer, steeper grades in the hills.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice towing stats. About the same as a 5.4L with 120 more horses, not including your tune and headers. Very nice!

I'm in the market for a 7'x14' non enclosed aluminum trailer to haul a couple full size Polaris Sportsmans.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Wink Latest MPG numbers

So, about my truck and rig again - I have an '11 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 with the 6.2, Max tow and 3.73LS gears. I have the Stainless Works long tube headers, and full performance dual exhaust with high flow cats and X-pipe. I'm also running an SCT Livewire. I was towing a '12 Polaris Ranger HD in a '13 Homesteader Challenger V-nose enclosed trailer, with tandem axles. It was custom built for the Ranger, so it's overall height is about 9'10". Trailer with Ranger and gear is about 3,500-3,600lbs.
So here's the update: About two weeks ago I took the first trip of the year to my place in Burlington, West Virginia. Along the way I stopped to pick up my sister in Pasadena, MD.. This was also the first trip towing out my Polaris Ranger since last deer season. I'm always checking my gas mileage. I use the "Trip A" monitor as a Per Tankfull, and the "Trip B" monitor as a Per Trip. I do the actual math at fill ups. It's usually pretty close. I right the figures down at the pump. When I get home I enter the figures into a running log. I'm a Shutterbug, so I like to take pictures. I have a Sony A65 DSLR. I usually have it out and sitting on the passenger seat next to me. On this trip out, I was on a .V3 version of my MPT 91 Tow tune. The first two versions were, well terrible. MPT sent me this revision late last year. But I was already done towing for the season. So this was the first opportunity to tow with it. This Tow tune was mostly Awesome. Just a little tweaking and it will be perfect. It had good performance. But it didn't hold gear long enough for me. It had nice quick upshifts, ran consistant tempertures, and gave me the best gas mileage while towing. The downshifts were really delayed. And that actually caused a dangerous situation. But I'm not gonna go into that. The entire trip out was about 279 miles. The first 88 miles was to my sisters house. The roads to there are mainly level. From her house to our place in West Virginia, it starts out being mostly level, then gets a little bit hilly, then goes into the mountains. I averaged 60mph. Weather was nice along the way to my sisters. It was sunny and I was with the wind. From my sisters house out to West Virginia, the weather started out about the same. But when we got close to the mountains, the weather changed to cloudy and rainy. Now for the gas mileage. The average for the trip out ended up being about what it usually is, which is 11.5-11.7mpg. But there was a big difference on this trip. On the first leg of the trip to my sisters, I averaged 13.3mpg. I couldn't believe it. At first I thought it was a fluke. Up until I got to the first rest area (about 35 miles), I was getting around 12.3-12.5mpg, but it was still slowly rising. So I was liking that. A few miles after I left the rest area I noticed that the instant MPG was still rising. So I zero'd out the instant MPG monitor. It landed right on about 13.2-13.3mpg. It wasn't until I got into stop lights and traffic near my sisters house that it started to fall back off. I still wasn't quite believing it. After we left my sisters house, I waited until we got back out onto the open road before I zero'd the monitor. It landed on about 12.3mpg and continued to rise to a high of 13.8mpg! Then leveled off at 13.2mpg. Once we got into the hilly terrain and rainy weather it started to slowly drop. I think if the weather had continued to be nice, who knows? Maybe the overall average would of been better than usuall? I left the Ranger and trailer in West Virginia. I removed the tow tune and went with the SCT 93 canned tune for the trip home. I like it for long trips. I averaged 19.5-19.7mpg at 65mph. Still nice. The entire trip was for about a week. Was around 613 miles, and used about 44 gal. of gas. Trip average was 13.9mpg.. Not too shabby.....I have a few more pics in my albums

Averaging 60mph, on MPT 91 Tow tune, V3. The average on level road to my sisters.

About where it stayed

The actual high on level roads was a bit more, but I didn't catch it.

The average on level road from my sisters to our place in WV.

My average on the way home. Averaging 65mph on SCT 93 canned.

Last stop at the Walmart in Keyser.

Quick Reply: MPG while towing the Ranger home