Towing & Hauling

funny to read some of these threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny to read some of these threads

i think its funny reading some of these threads about can i tow this? like if you go over the gvwr your truck is gonna fall apart or something bad will automatically happen like that number is some crazy thresh hold you cant go over. not saying you should completely ignore it but 20 30 years ago the gvwr were very low u couldnt hall much without being over weight trucks were always "over loaded" trucks are built so much better these days and if you are smart and carefull when you are towing you can tow quite a lot with a half ton also consider how often how far you are going to do it and how your truck feels and acts when towing give your self some space to stop you will be just fine!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Significant improvements have been made over time with frames, suspension, brakes, and engines. That's why GVWR are much higher than trucks of decades past.

One must also account for the unexpected. The roads are filled with kids who text while driving and are focused on everything except the road. Will a truck fall apart if overloaded? Probably not if it's within reason. But how is it going to cope with a panic maneuver compared to a 20+ year old truck?

Safety first. Not the driver's safety per se if they choose to overlaod their rig, but the drivers and passengers around them.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by dranger962000
i think its funny reading some of these threads about can i tow this? like if you go over the gvwr your truck is gonna fall apart or something bad will automatically happen like that number is some crazy thresh hold you cant go over. not saying you should completely ignore it but 20 30 years ago the gvwr were very low u couldnt hall much without being over weight trucks were always "over loaded" trucks are built so much better these days and if you are smart and carefull when you are towing you can tow quite a lot with a half ton also consider how often how far you are going to do it and how your truck feels and acts when towing give your self some space to stop you will be just fine!
I am certainly no English major by far but MAN, that third sentence was a long difficult one to read...

You are correct in saying that trucks build today are much better all ways around and can tow heavier loads much safer than ones even just 5 to10 years ago.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
ahahah yeah I almost passed out reading that monster of a sentance

Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 PM
i think its funny reading some of these threads about can i tow this? like if you go over the gvwr your truck is gonna fall apart or something bad will automatically happen like that number is some crazy thresh hold you cant go over.
Don't get me started! I love people that turn off overdrive (tow/haul) when they haul a load of firewood or a 500lb atv in the bed. I don't start worrying with the overdrive button until about 30K lbs over rated gcwr...
not saying you should completely ignore it but
Why not? That's what I do.

Last edited by chester8420; 10-16-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Don't get me started! I love people that turn off overdrive (tow/haul) when they haul a load of firewood or a 500lb atv in the bed. I don't start worrying with the overdrive button until about 30K lbs over rated gcwr...
Why not? That's what I do.
Best response, ever. If everyone had your knowledge/experience, or something equivalent to that, then there won't be a reason for the existence of websites like this one - let alone the thread. :-) You're absolutely correct about your statement, though. :-)

Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420

Well I haven't gone this extreme...but I am guilty of some over loads

Quick Reply: funny to read some of these threads