Towing & Hauling

My summer towing plan...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My summer towing plan...

My truck specs are in my sig, and I wanted to run this past you guys - first of all for towability and secondly, for opinions on the trailer.

I plan on putting my quad in the box of the truck (~500lbs) and then having a camper hitched on. I'm looking for something smaller than average, specifically the new Starcraft Launch 17FB.

Here's the link to a random seller's site:

http://www.scenicviewrv.net/inventor...unch-17FB.aspx

What do you guys think about this trailer, and with the tow set up? WD hitch? Sway control? Or can I just get away with a conventional tow?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Load the quad, hitch up the trailer and go..

I don't think you'll need WD unless you get over #500 tongue weight.

If you load the trailer with more weight up front than in the back, you won't need any additional 'sway control' either..

Pump up your tires to their max cold psi as listed on the tire and enjoy!

Good luck and have fun!

Mitch

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks Mitch! I have the 4.6 with a 3.55 rear end and nearly 33 inch tires. I've loaded the thing up and gone through hilly terrain - I certainly wouldn't want any less torque even though she did it. I was just concerned that I may be asking too much of it... but if a minivan can tow it then so can my truck!

I have 10 ply tires and run them at 40psi, upgraded shocks and brakes, so that should all be good to go. I also always tow with OD off.

This trailer's tongue weight is less than 400lbs, but with the quad in the back that puts it close to 900 total, even though the quad weight is ahead or on top of the rear axle.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
just a little fyi the 500 tongue weight plus the 400 quad is not all. you still have to account for you, your passengers, gas, and other stuff with you in the truck that isnt in the trailer. there was a similar thread in the towing and hauling section a week or so ago i think, but that guy found out the hard way. in all of these cases its essentially if you feel like exceeding your trucks specs, how far, and how fast youre going. my truck is rated to tow almost 10k, but i would never do that lol

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
yeah I hear you deacon, that's why I'm looking at trailers in the <3000lb range even though my truck is rated to 6200lb. the actual tongue weight is 335lb, which leaves me some wiggle room... with these weights I'm not worried about exceeding payload or GCVWR but more so the squat on the rear end.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM
If by 'asking too much of it' means you were in 2nd gear and pulling some 3500 rpms or so going up the grades, that's ok and the engine is just doing what it's meant to do..

I'm towing a #5000 TT with around #650 tongue weight and do use a WD hitch setup...

I don't haul a quad in the bed, but I do haul firewood, extra tools and some extra stuff in the bed and I do run a bit over the trucks GVWR, but right at the rear GAWR (I do have the 9.75" rear end) and have been doing this for over 10 years with the same truck and trailer and stuff in the bed...

I do have some overload springs to handle some sag the rear end gets when I haul heavy stuff in the bed, but it seems to help the trailer loading too..

243,000 miles and counting on the original drivetrain, so I'm not killing it by being a bit over GVWR..

Just my experience with it and I've towed rigs that were way overloaded some 25 years ago when I was young and didn't know any better, but making good money doing it..

My rig is not even close to the overloaded rigs I've towed in the past..

Good luck and enjoy!

Mitch

Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
243,000 miles and counting on the original drivetrain
awesome!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM
You should be fine. We know your towing rating is 6200lbs. What is your payload rating??

Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
adding a rear sway bar to the truck helps handling a whole lot

Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
sway and good to go.
or get a used WD and sway kit...which always help when reselling the TT

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM
So I finally signed on a trailer yesterday. Picked up a Jayco 20 foot travel trailer weighing in at about 4000lbs empty. I'm pretty excited! I also opted for the WD hitch and brake controller. The dealer is going to be doing the brake controller install - any recommendations as to which type is best and which to avoid? I heard something about inertial being better?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Tekonsha Prodigy/P2/P3.

With that heavy a trailer, loaded, and a quad in the bed, you will be pushing your payload limit.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Seems you went with a bit more trailer then in your first posts link?

Not sure what your actual payload figure is, but you'll be pushing it with the quad in the bed and the higher tongue weight on the bigger trailer for sure..

Get some actual weights if you can.. At least that way you will know where you really sit in terms of actual weight..

Mitch

Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Tekonsha Voyager would be my first choice nothing wrong with the prodigy I just like to have my own setting rather than it's pick one menu. Won't say you can't tow without WD and Sway but you will be glad you have it. My requirements for trailer setup are simple tow vehicle at original ride height and trailer level. We sell 1000lb WD with nearly every trailer because it allows you to upgrade trailers later and will cover your extra weight in the back of the truck like your quad. Reese hitch had the best ad I ever saw for WD they hook a Airstream trailer to a Olds Toronado removed the rear wheels and drove it coast to coast with no back tires on the car. Properly setup I can make the trailer disappear other than the extra weight no changes in braking no headlights in the trees and no sway. When it is set right you check your mirrors to make sure you brought the trailer.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah after some thinking, I decided on a slightly bigger trailer than before... Simply because I'm tall and need as much interior height as possible, and if/when kids come along I won't be needing to upsize. This one will last us for years just fine.

The dealership is providing me with a Primus IQ brake controller. Any reviews?

The tongue weight on the trailer is about 450lbs. With a WD hitch, how much will the new actual tongue weight be? Is there a calculation or formula to determine that?

As for the quad thing - it will be rare if I end up taking both at once... Most of the parks up this way don't allow quads unfortunately.

Quick Reply: My summer towing plan...