Towing & Hauling

Reese 15k Pro Series + Square Tube Slider Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reese 15k Pro Series + Square Tube Slider Review

Well I purchased a new 5th wheel hitch and thought I would do a quick writeup on it.

Here is my TV
2012 F-150 6.5ft bed
Hitch I ordered:
Reese 15K Pro Series with Square Tube Slider
Rails and Brackets:
F-150 Custom Fit Rails and brackets

Initial inspection:
Reese does good work and the quality appears to be good. Everything is heavy duty and engineered for a lifetime of towing.

Install and Fitment:
Install went fairly well and took about 3.5 hours with the help of a friend. Definately not a 1 man job. I rate it a 4 out of 10 on the beer scale. (the amount of beers you will drink during the install, or if you have friends like me it might be a 20 of 10 on the beer scale, ha!) The instructions were not very clear but the parts really only go together 1 way so its pretty hard to screw it up. 1 note however! The brackets use existing holes in the frame. The kit included centering washers to make sure the bolts are centered in the holes. THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT SIZE WASHERS PER SIDE!! This cost us about 45min of time during the install fishing the bolt back out of the frame to use the right size washer. Make sure you have the right centering washer in each hole!

Ease of Use:
Hitching, Sliding, and Latching the jaw are very easy and pretty much idiot-proof. A lock is provided to ensure that the jaws stay closed. The slide action is smooth, with little effort.

On the Road:
This is where the hitch didn't perform as well as I had hoped. The slider assembly seems to have some play in the assembly that causes some bucking on rough roads. You don't notice it on smoother roads or the highway, but on some of the washboard back roads near my home in Alabama it is a problem.

Summary:
Would work fine if most of my towing was on smooth roads or the highway, but on my local roads its just not for me. Anybody want a Reese 15k slider hitch for cheap? It's only been used once...

Last edited by SeaRayder; 03-14-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Reese 15k Pro Series + Square Tube Slider Review