Towing & Hauling

Bass boat towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bass boat towing

Hello all: I am new here. I have a 1993 F-150 4.9L XL.(165,000mi) Towing my Ranger bass boat is a little lack-luster to say the least. Power increase or a gearing change? I have thought about a K&N filter and a flow-master exhaust systems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, John...

Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by dogwatch
Hello all: I am new here. I have a 1993 F-150 4.9L XL.(165,000mi) Towing my Ranger bass boat is a little lack-luster to say the least. Power increase or a gearing change? I have thought about a K&N filter and a flow-master exhaust systems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, John...
First and foremost, I would just take it easy and not worry about it. As for the mods you listed, the air filter will let in more dirt and have almost no impact on performance compared to a high quality clean filter. The exhaust will primarily make the truck louder and add almost no power. I would use a good tuner to boost the power (PHP of XCT).

Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Kinda going to be limited with options for a 4.9 I-6.. While they are tough as nails, and have some good low end torque for what they are, you are not going to make it a 'tow beast' with some bolt on add-ons IMO..

What trans and what rear gears are in it? What are the other vitals on it? Cab config, tire size, what else are you hauling with the boat? How much does the boat weigh?

By "a little lack-luster" performance wise, what does that mean? Going down the hwy, going up the grades, pulling it out of the water??

Mitch

Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Hello Mitch: the tranny is a code e, three speed auto with o/d. The axel is a code 18 3.09 gear ratio. Regular cab single bench seat, not sure of the boats weight, but that being said, Rangers are heavy bass boats! After reading a few threads, it sounded like a 4.01 rear end might be what I am looking for. The truck works really hard on a good slope! Otherwise it pulls well. I'll have post a picture sometime soon. Thanks for any input, John...

Last edited by dogwatch; 08-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
3.08 gears YIKES. 3.55's would serve you much better

Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, gears are what's really hurting you I'd say too. 4.10's might be a bit low and you'll be pulling higher rpms even in OD for everyday driving.. Now, if all you use the truck for is to tow the boat, than that might not be a 'bad' thing..

Like canadian screw said, 3.55's would be a good compromise gear for towing and daily driving. Might even consider 3.73's, just to toss that out there too!

Pics are always cool! Especially when F150's are towing something!

Mitch

Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't think you should dump $700-1000ish on gears for a truck that isn't worth much more... Sell it, and put the gear money towards a V-8 truck.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Hello All: Zaairman, selling is not an option right now, the truck is paid for and the boat is being paid on. I have had the truck two years and it seems to be very reliable. Reliability was one of my major reasons for buying this particular truck in the first place. A lot of miles on the road at very early hours in the AM. I've already set up to have the rear end re-geared. Going with a 3.73 ratio. I'll be pulling a little over 200 miles next weekend, almost all backcountry. I'll update as to the performance of the new gearing. Always, John.. Oh, thanks for the inputs.

Quick Reply: Bass boat towing