Towing & Hauling

New to towing - Receiver/Towing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to towing - Receiver/Towing Questions

I have a 2011 FX4, 5.0, 373's,supercab with a 6.5 box (truck is stock)... I am not looking to see how much I can/can't tow, I am just looking to tow a pair of waverunners or a smaller boat or possibly a car later on.

My question is, what type of receiver/hitch ball do I need? Any brand opinions? What to look for?

I was looking at this - http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?eve...&categoryid=47.

I could be way off, and again I don't mean to sound stupid. I know that may sound like a ridiculous question, but I am new to this scene. Thanks again

Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
The waverunner trailer you can use either a 1-7/8 or a 2in ball for the car trailer it's going to need a 2-5/16 ball and the drop is going to depend on how you want the trailer to ride. I know I like a trailer to tow almost level but it's personal preference and how the trailer handles on a given hitch some tow better tounge high and some tow better closer to level. If you are going to be towing mutltiple trailers you may want to look into a tri ball set up that has adjustable tounge heights like this one I am going to pick this up this year.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._245756_245756

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the prompt response. What is the reccomended for the trailer to ride? with a drop? stock height? I want to do whats best for the truck.

That looks like my next purchase, a few mixed reviews .. but being I am going to eventually be alternating from a boat/car trailer ect, this seems like it would suffice.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use an adjustable height ball mount and Convert-A-Ball for ultimate flexibility. For PWC trailer, it does not matter much. Put a ball of whatever size you need on the bumper and get to the lake.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by NJ09GT
Thanks for the prompt response. What is the reccomended for the trailer to ride? with a drop? stock height? I want to do whats best for the truck.

That looks like my next purchase, a few mixed reviews .. but being I am going to eventually be alternating from a boat/car trailer ect, this seems like it would suffice.
It really depends on the trailer and where the axles are on the trailer as well as how you load it on what drop you use. I know if on my F350 if I am towing our car trailer with a car on it I will use a 6in drop hitch but if I am towing the skid steer we have at work I will use a 3in drop so I am not dragging my hitch. It really depends on the load you have on the trailer at the time and what kind of trailer it is as to what kind of drop you use. You have to play around and find out what works best because no two loads are alike.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Appreciate the suggestions/input. I guess I have to wait till I decide on the exact trailer(s) ect. It's like I said basicalyl going to be a Car Trailer/PWC/Boat and that's really it. My next question on, which brand/make is the strongest/most reliable hitch receiver?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
They all have to meet the same DOT specs and weight limits so it really depends on how much you want to spend. Personaly I would spend my money on a Drawtite or Reese if I were to buy a truck with out a hitch on it.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I have the hitch on it, I am litterally talking just the ball/receiver... not the actual "hitch"..... I have an FX4, comes stock ready to tow!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
The receiver, or drop, should match the weight restriction of the hitch. e.g., my Drawtite hitch is rated at 12,500Lbs, as is my 4" drop (truck rated to tow only 8400Lbs, though). As stated earlier, the amount of drop (0", 2", 4", etc...) will depend on trailer tongue weight, and desired ride angle of trailer. If you can, have trailer loaded and parked behind truck. Adjust trailer tongue jack to desired ride angle, and measure amount of drop you will need. Also, for your application I would prefer a 2" ball over 1-7/8... more trailers seem to use the 2".

Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Sorry I misunderstood what you where looking for. You are looking for the ball and draw bar, I would seriously take into consideration the tri-ball I posted the link to earlier. I tow quite a bit in the summer and I am getting rid of all my different draw bars and going the tri-ball route to keep my truck bed uncluttered and I carry 3 different ball draw bar combos with me.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
If you are worried about the quality of the tri-ball I posted earlier here is the one I am actually purchasing it is made by B&W Hitch and they produce a top notch product.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...hitch/tow-stow

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM
^^ That one looks sweet. I like how you can tuck it away when you're not towing and it doesn't have all those easily pulled pins, which are easy to steal. That first one you posted looked like a real shin buster. The reviews said the same thing, about how it sticks out so far and possibly hurts the tongue capacity.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Last hitch you'll ever need to buy...

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...ombo-ball.aspx

Had one for about 6 years now and its great.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 PM
That Anderson looks nice. How's that polished aluminum holding up after 6 years? Any rusting or chipping?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisT
That Anderson looks nice. How's that polished aluminum holding up after 6 years? Any rusting or chipping?
Uh... Aluminum doesn't rust. It could use a good polishing, but no major chipping. There's a few dents and dings in it from trailers and chains (I've wrapped chains around it many times to pull stuff) and such, but it's still very presentable. If I spent an hour or two polishing it, it'd look much better.

Quick Reply: New to towing - Receiver/Towing Questions