Towing & Hauling

Sway Bar necessary for light travel trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Bar necessary for light travel trailer?

So, I bought a light travel trailer over the weekend (president's day sale, yay!)... It's the Forest River Surveyor 305. It's gross length is 34' and height is about 9'6". Dry weight is about 6,500lbs and capacity is 3,000lbs.

I was told I would need a sway bar for this trailer, but I question whether that is the case or not. The trailer is about as aerodynamic as a elephant, so I know wind gusts will cause some sway, but will it be so bad that I have to sacrifice my independent rear suspension by putting on a sway bar?

What do you guys think about this? I have a 2010 F-150 FX2 SuperCrew with the 3.73 gear ratio (11,300lb tow capacity).

To sway or not to sway; that is the question.

Last edited by johnszac; 02-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You will definitely need a weight distribution hitch.

You don't have independent rear suspension, you have a solid axle.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by johnszac
So, I bought a light travel trailer over the weekend (president's day sale, yay!)... It's the Forest River Surveyor 305. It's gross length is 34' and height is about 9'6". Dry weight is about 6,500lbs and capacity is 3,000lbs.

I was told I would need a sway bar for this trailer, but I question whether that is the case or not. The trailer is about as aerodynamic as a elephant, so I know wind gusts will cause some sway, but will it be so bad that I have to sacrifice my independent rear suspension by putting on a sway bar?

What do you guys think about this? I have a 2010 F-150 FX2 SuperCrew with the 3.73 gear ratio (11,300lb tow capacity).

Yes, you will need a weight dis. hitch. I use this one on my 05 f150 pulling both my 20' enclosed trailer and 20' camper.
http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/,49587

Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Like stated above..
You don't have independent suspension in the rear.

Did you mean sway control arm for the WD bars instead of sway bar?

I can see adding a sway control arm to the required WD set up you need to tow this trailer. When... yes when, not if, you tow and get into the wind you will be glad you got the sway arm. Otherwise you might have to stop until the wind dies or drop your towing speed considerably.

BTW I get 20-30 trailers a year in for repair due to either wind damage while towing or damage caused to the trailers/trucks that went off the road while towing in the wind.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 AM

I tow a similar sized travel trailer with my 2010 XLT. You will need the weight distribution hitch so you truck does not sag in the back but you do not need a mechanical anti sway device because your truck has an electronic anti sway control built in and it work like a charm.

Last edited by TUX150; 02-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM
I have a f350 and pull a 28 foot enclosed race car trailer I don't use the w/d hitch but I do use two anti sway bars pulls better imo especially when you go around a semi.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar necessary for light travel trailer?