Towing & Hauling

towing a log splitter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question towing a log splitter

I need to tow a log splitter about 75 miles. It has wheels and a coupler, but no brakes, lights, sway control, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dino

------------------
Dino
homepage: http://www.geocities.com/blueskywhiteclouds

Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering

Old 06-04-2001, 11:52 PM
bluesky,
don't know how the laws are in your neck of the woods, but here it is no problem to tow log splitters around. you just have to be able to see your taillights from behind. i have a splitter i tow around in the summer. friends and i cut wood all summer and let it season out for winter. if yours is like mine be careful. my splitter has the 12" tires and no suspension. it takes bumps really hard, bouncing all over the road. also, be sure you lock your coupler. this has saved me a couple of times when it was bouncing out of control. good luck, Rich.

------------------
-1999 F-150 4X4 XLT SC
-4.6, auto
-3.55LS
-Westin chrome nerf bars
-dual straight pipes
-goodyear mt/r 265/75/16
-hikerdadrich@aol.com

Old 06-18-2001, 09:11 PM
bluesky- same here, dont know the laws by you, i dont even know the laws with those by me! I used a 4X8 trailer, with wood sides framed in. Used ramps and another guy to help me get it up on the trailer.

I did have to move the splitter a few hundred feet when i was at the place where i was splitting. Be carefull! i could not see the spliter at all, and when towing it, you might forget its back there because they dont weigh too much and you cant see them. Try putting down the tailgate when pulling it?

Good luck

Brian

------------------
98 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4
4.6L V8 3.55LS
Tonno Cover, Brush Guard, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie Horn, 2 150 watt KC Daylighters, Cobra CB Radio, BF Goodrich All Terrains 265/75/16

--------------------------
2000 Excursion Limited 4X4, Black, V-10, 3.73 LS, Tow Mirrors....the Suburban killer!

Quick Reply: towing a log splitter