Towing & Hauling

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Towing

Has anyone ever towed a two axle trailer with a 3000+ lb car (I towing a 1967 Fairlane) behind their std. cab xl, with v-6? How bad was it. Are there any suggestions/known problems. I see the tongue weight is rated @ 500lbs and should be 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight. Thanks for the help.

------------------
Life Long Ford Fan!

Old 06-11-2001, 12:32 AM
James, did you do your towing job? I just came on line to research this. I need to pull a flat trailer with my son's 96 Ford Probe across Houston. He was in an accident Friday night. With our severe flooding, I can't get a tow truck to tow more than five miles and I need about 30 miles. I have a 4.2 auto reg. cab. What do you think.
If you see this soon please reply asap by e-mail to
Kensterfly@aol.com
Thanks,
Ken Sunday 6/10/01 1130 am

Old 06-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Wink

I think you will be just fine if you keep your speed about 55 max and make sure your transmission doesnt shift in and out of overdrive. If I were going much further than 30 miles I would want the largest transmission cooler I could find installed. (I would actually have a tranny cooler installed anyway whether towing or not.) I would think that your rig is maxed out pulling this combo and wouldn't attempt it if the rear axle ratio is a 3.08. A 3.55 or higher would be optimum.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kenster:
James, did you do your towing job? I just came on line to research this. I need to pull a flat trailer with my son's 96 Ford Probe across Houston. He was in an accident Friday night. With our severe flooding, I can't get a tow truck to tow more than five miles and I need about 30 miles. I have a 4.2 auto reg. cab. What do you think.
If you see this soon please reply asap by e-mail to
Kensterfly@aol.com
Thanks,
Ken Sunday 6/10/01 1130 am
</font>

------------------
Snowbird
2001XLT 2x4,5.4,LS3.55,Leer 7000 hard cover

Old 06-14-2001, 10:04 AM
Thumbs up

Just got back from Kentucky to NC last night towing a 67 fairlane and trailer with a combined total of 4850lbs through the Smokeys and the Appalachins about 450 miles. The max on my step bumper was 5000. Although I would never try this again, the truck did a GREAT job! 4.2L 5spd Plane Jane Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Towing