Towing & Hauling

Dual Cam Sway Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Cam Sway Control

All,
How many of you have the Reese Dual Cam sway control? And has anyone had any trouble with it? Here is what unit specs and why I am asking. 2005 F-150 S.Crew 5.4 towing a 31ft 6500#(gross 7500#) passport. The problem I am having is with any side wind I get I am getting enough sway to make it uncomfortable when traveling at 65 on the interstate. From what I have read no one else seems to have this issue. Any input would be appreciated.
Andy

Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only put about 500 miles on my TT with the Reese system, but I have no sway problems at 60-70-mph, but it has not been very windy either.

Sounds like it is not adjusted correctly or too little tongue weight. When it is loaded up and attached, are the detents in the sway bars right on the cam lob? While this thread is not exactly your situation, there are a lot of very good pictures and information on the Reese Dual cam setup. Mad props to John B!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by APT
Sounds like it is not adjusted correctly
That was my thoughts also. I have less than 1000 on this TT. I will recheck the cams when I pull the camper out in a couple days. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I've pulled my 5,000 pound 25 foot travel trailer about 10,000 miles including through the Rocky Mountains with the Dual Cam setup and I've never had even a hint of sway. Per previous posts, something seems out of whack. Your trailer should be level, 15% of weight on tongue, and as noted previously, the cams need to be EXACTLY in the curve on the end of the trunion bars. Reese website has great instructions. Is it possible you don't have enough pressure on the bars? Your truck should also settle evenly front and back when properly adjusted.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I have the same set up and maybe the same tt, and I do have sway issues. My tt has too low of tongue wt when its filled with water and I have a bike rack mounted on the back. I went from 800# bars to 1200# bars, the new bars have a much deeper curve in the cam end to help with sway.

I only have 850# tongue loaded and 950# unloaded but these newer style bars help out allot more, I only went on one short trip with the new bars and it was better, I haven't been able to camp for the last 2 months do to a family illness. I did have to grind the new bars an 1/8 thinner at the cam end because they road on the sides on my old stirup style dual cam. My tt scales almost 7K#.

Good luck

There are 2 1200# bars in the pic at the bottom when I ordered they sent me an old style and a new, thats how I found out there was a change.

Last edited by goingnorth; 07-27-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I to am running the 1200# setup as well. I will check to make sure that both bars are the same and that I do not have one of the older bars. I will also check the cams tomorrow and if I can find the old bathroom scales i'll check the tongue weight. From the specs on the keystone site and i calcs. the tongue weight around around 1100# using 15% of the gross weight of the TT. Thanks for all the help and I'll let you all know what the out come is when I get back from vacation.

Last edited by flane351c; 07-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Well group,
I figured I would report in after the trip. I looked over the hitch setup and everything there was the way it is suppose to be. I decided to load the front of the TT a little heavier than the last trip. I still had the same issue with the wind and trucks. On the trip home we added more to the front and it seems to be better but I am still getting some sway from the trucks and cross wind. Looking at the pic that goingnorth posted, I have the bars that are 2nd up in the pic. I am not sure if this is where I am having an issue or not. I will be a closer look at the hitch in the coming weeks. And maybe get some pics. Thanks again for the help, it's getting closer.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I also go to RV.net, they have a towing section and some sticky's that are very helpfull in setting up your hitch.

Quick Reply: Dual Cam Sway Control