Towing & Hauling

Best Way To Tow Uphill????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
35s and 3.55s? No wonder you killed the trans!

x2

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdad8214
You do know its just a chain in your transfer case?? When I turn on the street in 4x4 it will churp the back tires, but with a trailer holding it down.....then it would have to be a front wheel and thats a lot for the CV's and the transfer case. You know you can unplug the vacum lines on the front and it won't lock the diff???
I know that and I also know about the 'mod' to disable the front axle from engaging, as I was concerned about this very thing when I stared doing this way back when.

I also know what it feels like when it does bind up... I've had it do that to me on gravel, dirt, grass, sand.. All going forward and turning sharp.

I don't get any of that backing it up however... I was nervous as all heck the first time I did it on pavement, but not a single bounce, chirp, grid, growl or anything out of it when I'm backing up.

After I'm done backing it in, I put the thing back in 2hi and all the gears 'clunk' back into place and I've never experienced any issue otherwise..

You'd think that after doing this for the past 7 years, something would have popped by now if it was indeed causing a bind in the system?

Besides, if I didn't have the front wheels helping push it back, I'd spin the back tires on the gravel when the front tires come on up on the curb while trying to push a #5000 TT up the same hill... I have to get a good run at it when I'm just backing up the hill to hitch up and I'm in 2hi.. If I have to pause or anything, the rear tires will spin as I try to backup and I have to start again, or put it in 4hi..

I also will slip it into 4hi while I'm stuck in traffic on the freeway going straight.. I'll keep it engaged for a mile or so, going 20-30 mph and if traffic picks up again, I'll switch back to 2hi. I do it to keep things 'exercised' up front and to let me know that things are still working down there and the T-Case is still engaging and so is the front axle. People have ripped on me for doing that... Saying I'll ruin it by running it in 4hi on pavement...

Well folks.. My 4wd system still works fine and I've never had any of the 4wd related issues I hear of all the time on here and the truck has over 211,000 miles on it now.. I do so many things against the 'norm' here, yet I seem to not have any of the so called 'issues' that plague others when they ask about this or that..

Dunno about any of it, and I do what I do and say what I say..

Mitch

Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cycle my 4WD on a monthly basis too. i have the electronic shift on the fly. i'm a believer on exercising the system too, and there is nothing wrong with doing it on pavement or whatever else as long as you're not going too fast to engage it, and you're not cranking the wheel to turn the truck. straight away, there's nothing wrong with it, and once it's engaged, speed doesn't matter.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalF150FX4
Do I lock it in 1st and take the slow approach? Or do I go for speed and momentum? Which way is easier on the transmission?
I don't know if you meant locking the T/C or not, but I'll add this anyways since no one mentioned it...you can not lock the T/C in first gear. If you meant just putting the shifter in 1st so it stays there, that's fine, as long as you have enough speed to keep the RPMs up as mentioned.

Originally Posted by tbear853

I also don't like full throttle hard pulls for long hills, favor lower gear and half throttle and slower speeds, but keep rpms up.
X2

Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Start at the top
Looks as though you got the answers you were looking for so I thought I'd be funny. Good Luck though.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SoCal. You have no control over how your TC locks really, but as Galaxy said, it won't ever lock in 1st, no matter where the gear lever is..

In second gear, I've found it'll only lock once you 'mat' the pedal and then see the rpms drop several hundred rpms after it downshifts from third.. Then you can adjust your speed as needed.. If you need to keep it matted in LOCKED second, that's okay, but if you can't maintain 2500-3000 rpms you'll bog down in locked second and then you'll need to pull the gear shift into 1st.

Then you should only be going 25 mph or so, because your rpms will rise to over 4500 + if you go to first and that's all the speed you'll get, but you shouldn't be pedal to the metal in first for more then a couple of minutes either..

The bottom line is you don't want to be 'pedal to the metal' while the TC is unlocked.. If you are PTTM in first, then you have too much trailer for the grade you are on and you get what you get when you are done if it's more then a couple of miles... (fried trans.... )

Mitch

Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
SoCal. You have no control over how your TC locks really, but as Galaxy said, it won't ever lock in 1st, no matter where the gear lever is..

In second gear, I've found it'll only lock once you 'mat' the pedal and then see the rpms drop several hundred rpms after it downshifts from third.. Then you can adjust your speed as needed.. If you need to keep it matted in LOCKED second, that's okay, but if you can't maintain 2500-3000 rpms you'll bog down in locked second and then you'll need to pull the gear shift into 1st.

Then you should only be going 25 mph or so, because your rpms will rise to over 4500 + if you go to first and that's all the speed you'll get, but you shouldn't be pedal to the metal in first for more then a couple of minutes either..

The bottom line is you don't want to be 'pedal to the metal' while the TC is unlocked.. If you are PTTM in first, then you have too much trailer for the grade you are on and you get what you get when you are done if it's more then a couple of miles... (fried trans.... )

Mitch
Thanks for the help everyone, when I pulled the trailer up the hill last weekend with the new gears it downshifted into 2nd just about to the top and pulled just about 3700 to 3800 rpms, with trans temps just under 200F. I would call it a success!

Quick Reply: Best Way To Tow Uphill????