Towing & Hauling

Stainless steel hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless steel hitch

I hate the standard powder coated trailer hitches. They always rust. I live in Ontario, Canada and we use lots of salt on the roads to melt ice. I want to buy a Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch for my 2009 F150.

Any ideas where I can buy one or will I have to make my own?

I searched but couldn't find anything...

Thank you,

Chris

Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I have never seen a reciever hitch made out of stainless steel. I would hate to see the cost even associated with something like that being made. I would say you would have to make your own but, be safe and just buy a new hitch every few years.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I sprayed mine with some of that "off the shelf" wheel well coating or undercoating stuff.

While I don't live in an area where they have salted the roads in the past (they are going to do it this season howver!! ) My hitch and the frame around it are all coated..

A stainless hitch would weigh a 'ton' as well... What parts are rusted on your current hitch?

I think they make stainless ball mounts? Do you leave the ball mount in the hitch all Winter long? I wouldn't do this myself, but I see countless rigs on the road with a ball mount inserted that obviously looks like it hasn't seen a coupler in years....

I know that when I leave mine in just for a day, I end up catching my knee on it! :LOL:

Good luck with the hunt! If you do find one, let us know the cost and the weight of it!

Mitch

Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
another option??

Most major cities have chrome plating shops.
Why not get a 1 piece and just have it chromed?

It won't last as long as stainless but should be less expensive.....so much so that you could probably have a couple done for the cost of a custom stainless hitch.

Most new hitches are only about $120-140 US currency and then plating should not be more than about $100-150.

Just a thought.............

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Suspended
I have seen them at autozone and pepboys.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 PM
get it ceramic coated -it will not rust

Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've got a Bully stainless ball and hitch. It hasn't rusted yet and I've towed and pulled some things out with it.

Cost me some dough... but it is well worth it.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i looked for months for a 6" drop stainless. If you want anything more than 3" or whatever it was i didnt like you'll have to stay mild or make your own. be aware making your own will not be easy as there is technique to high strength welds.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by araz2114
I hate the standard powder coated trailer hitches. They always rust. I live in Ontario, Canada and we use lots of salt on the roads to melt ice. I want to buy a Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch for my 2009 F150.

Any ideas where I can buy one or will I have to make my own?
Do you want a hitch or a ball mount?

If a ball mount, a forged aluminum one will be just as strong and won't rust. Here's a well made beauty but they don't give them away:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-SR26041/Qu...10000-lbs.html

Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Nope, I want the hitch. The part that attaches to the truck. I can get a stainless ball mount no problem.

I am a Machinist and Tool and Die maker and for the life of me I can't understand why this isn't done. Stainless steel isn't that much more expensive than regular steel. Most of the cost of a trailer hitch is in the labour, insurance, lawers, and shipping. We can get rid of the powder coating cost.

Still want to find one... I may have to get one made custom... crazy!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

You might also consider getting one hot-dip galvanized. Ship yards use a lot of this stuff and it holds up well in a salt environment. As a bonus, it will have a sacrificial zinc effect and reduce rust on the rest of the truck chassis (especially in the immediate vicinity like the hitch bolts).

In fact, I may need to bolt a few sacrificial zincs onto my chassis, they are cheap and quite effective.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 PM
SS Hitch

Hi Chris, were you able to find a stainless hitch? I share your sentiment, I have been in manufacturing my entire career and cant understad why they dont make stainless hitches. I too dislike the rusty ones you see everywhere. I am trying to get a stainless hitch for my 2009 RAV4.

Thanks,
Steve G.

Nope, I want the hitch. The part that attaches to the truck. I can get a stainless ball mount no problem.

I am a Machinist and Tool and Die maker and for the life of me I can't understand why this isn't done. Stainless steel isn't that much more expensive than regular steel. Most of the cost of a trailer hitch is in the labour, insurance, lawers, and shipping. We can get rid of the powder coating cost.

Still want to find one... I may have to get one made custom... crazy![/QUOTE]

Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I doubt you will get an answer, this thread has been dead for 6 years.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As a machinist you may already be aware that a lot of so called "stainless" isn't very stainless! Here in Florida all you have to do is go to any Lowes or Home Depot and look at the "Stainless Steel" grills that they have in front of the store and you find plenty of rust spots! FYI.

Originally Posted by glc
I doubt you will get an answer, this thread has been dead for 6 years.
It seems to have recovered and sprung back to life!

Last edited by joe51; 07-19-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel hitch