Towing & Hauling

Brake control On 2001 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake control On 2001 F150

I have a 2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat. I believe my truck is wired for electric brakes does anyone know where and what color the connecter is to connect the controler? And any other helpful tips i may need to know.

Thanks
Ktperry

Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ktperry
I have a 2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat. I believe my truck is wired for electric brakes does anyone know where and what color the connecter is to connect the controler? And any other helpful tips i may need to know.

Thanks
Ktperry
If you got the tow package there should be a plug in the clove box. Hook that up to your BC and plug it in.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 AM
In the 2001 there is a grey plug with 6 wires right behind your OBDII diagnostic port on the lower dash board above your accelerator pedal.

The color of the wires on the plug are blue, green, red, white and brown. The wires are as follows:
Blue....electric trailer brake feed
Green....brake pedal switch
Red...12v postitive...always hot
White....ground
Brown....interior vehicle illumination (not used)

The factory wire harness that you will need to attach your brake controller will plug right into this plug. The factory wires are colored the same as above.

After-market and brake conroller wires are colored as follows:
Blue....electric trailer brake feed
Red.....brake pedal switch
White....ground
Black....12v positive

I hope this clear it up

Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Cool, I'm kinda wondering the same thing for future stuff. After reading this, I went and found a grey plug, clipped onto the OBD2 bracket I guess, so I'm assuming that's it, mines a 2000. My question and sorry for the hijack here but I'm thinking I ordered the tow pkg, minus the hitch, so all I had was the 4 pin (standard). What would I need to convert to 7 pin and how hard is it? I've done a bit of searching and got some basics. All said and done, 7 pin installed, all I'd need then is a brake controller, plug it into the grey plug and she's all set?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
BLUE20004X4,
"What would I need to convert to 7 pin and how hard is it? I've done a bit of searching and got some basics. All said and done, 7 pin installed, all I'd need then is a brake controller, plug it into the grey plug and she's all set?"

There is a trailer wiring harness that will plug into the same harness that the 4 flat harness is plugged into. The connector will be next to or above the spare tire. Simply unplug the 4 pin harness and and plug in the 7 pin harness. Plugging in the brake controller is as simple as you suggest.

The last thing you will need to do is install as few fuses and relays located under the hood next to the brake booster and you'll be all set. The fuses and relays are for the trailer auxillery charge line and the electric brakes.

Sound like you go a pretty good grasp of it......

Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Colorado, you're my homeboy! Thanks man, I thaught I'd have to run wires here and there and all this b/s, I kinda don't like messin' with wires. I think I may invest in a new 7 pin plug fairly soon, b/c one day, maybe when I have my own trailer. No need now as I borrow trailers for small needs or short distances.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the factory part number for the 4 pin & 7 pin harness, and where it plugs into the factory harness at.

I think I have read these can be purchased from other then Ford dealer, but I only know for sure on the under dash pigtail. The big 3 online parts places are cheap enough to get the harness from Ford.

If you read through the sticky at the top of this forum, the list of fuses and relays for your MY truck are in there.
Also, you can drop me an email via my profile, I have the 2001 Trailer Tow Install directions scanned into a pdf if you want them.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Ah ha, I found an old thread I was looking for. Now, I got the Ford harness, but it has that extra connector as seen in the pic above that appears to plug into nothing, why and what is it for exactly? I also got the trailer brake pig tail plug (Ford piece), will the brake controller (Prodigy is what I want) have bare wires to solder on these or do they have a plug, I'm pretty sure I saw them with bare wires unless you buy a specific adapter. I would go look outside at the frame plug etc. but it's really cold today

Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Nevermind, found what the extra plug was to, the taillight!!! I'm retarded, never really put 2 and 2 together seeing exactly what routes where. Also, to further answer my own questions, I see pics of the Prodigy with bare wires so I'm set, just need the underhood relays.

Quick Reply: Brake control On 2001 F150