Towing & Hauling

2007 F-150 = Max towing of 9300 lbs ?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is an 06, towing about 7-8k through wet the rainy tx hillcountry in below freezing temps was not fun. I should have clarified, my towing exp was a lil worse due to the weather and wind. In dry conditions it isnt too bad. But anything above 6k is not the "I forgot it was there" experience some play it out to be. Yea you might forget for very short periods of time but the next hill quickly reminds you

Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Mine is an 06, towing about 7-8k through wet the rainy tx hillcountry in below freezing temps was not fun. I should have clarified, my towing exp was a lil worse due to the weather and wind. In dry conditions it isnt too bad. But anything above 6k is not the "I forgot it was there" experience some play it out to be. Yea you might forget for very short periods of time but the next hill quickly reminds you
I got one word for you.... ANTICIPATION. This goes a long way. What is your setup and what type of trailer are you towing? This has a lot to do with the comfort level. My buddy told me his trailer towed like crap. I adjusted his hitch and it was night and day difference! The next trip out we were doing 70 and I had to tell him to look at his speedometer. He didn't even realize that we were going that fast. Setup is everything. Gear ratio and power are great but if you don't have the setup correct you won't be happy. My TT dealer set up my hitch. I left the dealer and drove 2 miles up the road and re-did the setup. I wouldn't have wanted to tow that trailer 10 miles the way it was. I don't even hesitate on a 400 mile trip now. Brakes, WD hitch, mirrors, and most importantly, attitude while towing, will ensure your towing experience is pleasant. This is all providing that you are within weight ranges for your truck. If you have never towed anything in your life then you WILL fell intimidated on your first outing. Backing is a total different experience. If your trip there wasn't stressful enough, by the time you get into your camp site you will need a Prozac! But Practice makes perfect. Go to a large parking lot and set up cones to practice with. It will make it easier to learn this way then bouncing off trees in a CG.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
It doesn't have brakes yet cause I haven't added them. That is one of my summer projects. And yes, it is all about the set up. I knew that when I towed that load, I was over EVERY single weight rating my truck had. But, it was only for 10 miles down the road, one way. And although I don't have a W/D hitch, I do have a Rapid Hitch which makes it a little better.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
I got one word for you.... ANTICIPATION. This goes a long way. What is your setup and what type of trailer are you towing? This has a lot to do with the comfort level. My buddy told me his trailer towed like crap. I adjusted his hitch and it was night and day difference! The next trip out we were doing 70 and I had to tell him to look at his speedometer. He didn't even realize that we were going that fast. Setup is everything. Gear ratio and power are great but if you don't have the setup correct you won't be happy. My TT dealer set up my hitch. I left the dealer and drove 2 miles up the road and re-did the setup. I wouldn't have wanted to tow that trailer 10 miles the way it was. I don't even hesitate on a 400 mile trip now. Brakes, WD hitch, mirrors, and most importantly, attitude while towing, will ensure your towing experience is pleasant. This is all providing that you are within weight ranges for your truck. If you have never towed anything in your life then you WILL fell intimidated on your first outing. Backing is a total different experience. If your trip there wasn't stressful enough, by the time you get into your camp site you will need a Prozac! But Practice makes perfect. Go to a large parking lot and set up cones to practice with. It will make it easier to learn this way then bouncing off trees in a CG.

I do agree. I have quite a bit of experience towing with my old Dodge, but I also towed alot less weight then. Out with the Ford was my first real time above 5k, the extra weight coupled with terrible weather and strong winds def needed some getting used to. I epect it will be a couple more trips before I am completely comftorable towing that much weight. My set up was 06, 4x4, scab with tow package and 20' double axle with elect brakes on back.

Edit: I got backing up down, the trailer gets packed in the backyard through a narrow fence and down along the house lol

Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Towing....

I have an 07 FX4 on order, should get here around 2/5.
Question:
When I tow a heavy trailer on the highway, will the cruise control or the AC (or both) kick off on a big hill?

I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that would do both and drive me crazy.
What will it do?

Thanks!!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by jaybread
I have an 07 FX4 on order, should get here around 2/5.
Question:
When I tow a heavy trailer on the highway, will the cruise control or the AC (or both) kick off on a big hill?

I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that would do both and drive me crazy.
What will it do?

Thanks!!
What is your classification of heavy? If you drop below 3 MPH on your cruise speed it will kick off. It will do that on any vehicle. I have had cruise set and the truck actually down shifted to maintain speed. Once it was satisfied it shifted back into 3rd and kept going. I was in the 3MPH window. As for the AC.... I have never had the AC kick off on any vehicle. It must have been a Dodge/ Chrysler thing. I had a Durango RT and I wouldn't want to tow anything with it! It had enough problems without towing. It was traded with 34000 miles on it. I will never own another!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by TwoHulaBears
.........Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Rating of 9300 lbs..........Would you tow that much with this truck?

Old 01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Have been reading this post and am interested in learning a little more.I will be towing probably a rental trailer(car hauler )next month for a 100 miles or so and was wondering about the W/D hitch you are all talking about.Is this really a good investment and what does it look like.I presently have a rapid hitch which is great for setting up differant trailers.I don't do a lot of towing at the moment but that may change.Do you think an enclosed car hauler with a #3700 truck inside it is to much for the F150.Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I would not recommend using a WD hitch on a rental trailer. They are upwards of $250 and it would be a waste for a one time deal. As far as towing a car trailer with your F-150..... depending on tounge weight, and how you load it, you should be ok. Is it an open trailer or a closed one? How much does the trailer weigh? Make sure it had brakes on it, and take your time.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
CC Kickoff

I guess heavy means it will slow the truck down below the set cruise control speed. Also, it occur due to high head winds, steep hills, etc, regardless of weight.
I now have an F250 diesel, and with the CC set at 75mph, towing 7500 pound RV trailer, on certain hills the speed would drop to 65mph, but the CC would stay on, and so would the AC. It would shift down to third and hold max turbo boost until it caught back up to the set speed.

If I'm hearing you correctly, an 07 F150 will kick off the CC if for any reason it can't hold within 3mph of it's set speed?

To me, it would kick off alot out here in NM with our long highway climbs at high altitude (5,000-11,000 feet), even if I'm not towing.

I hope this isn't true.....

Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by jaybread
I guess heavy means it will slow the truck down below the set cruise control speed. Also, it occur due to high head winds, steep hills, etc, regardless of weight.
I now have an F250 diesel, and with the CC set at 75mph, towing 7500 pound RV trailer, on certain hills the speed would drop to 65mph, but the CC would stay on, and so would the AC. It would shift down to third and hold max turbo boost until it caught back up to the set speed.

If I'm hearing you correctly, an 07 F150 will kick off the CC if for any reason it can't hold within 3mph of it's set speed?

To me, it would kick off alot out here in NM with our long highway climbs at high altitude (5,000-11,000 feet), even if I'm not towing.

I hope this isn't true.....
If the truck cannot downshift and maintain speed it will shut off. I have a lot of rolling hills where I live and the truck will downshift and maintain speed just fine. If your towing a 7000#+, brick behind your F-150, like I do often, you will need to manipulate the throttle with your foot just a bit. They are not a diesel by any means but they will pull the weight if driven with a little conmmon sense. The air never shuts off. Hill anticipation is a big deal and goes a long way. Most semis on the road have to do the same depending on grade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 F-150 = Max towing of 9300 lbs ?