Go Back   F150online Forums > Special Interest > Towing & Hauling
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

What exactly comes with the stock Ford Tow Package?

I have a 2006 supercrew that came with the "Tow Package", (Tow and Go discount). I have the 5.4L with the 3.73 axle. What exactly comes with the stock tow package?

I'm also looking to get a trailer brake controller. Does the tow package help with this, i.e., easier to hook up, etc?

I'm new to this so any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford 4x4
2 relays and a plugin with wires too hook up for the brake controller wires.Some brake controllers you order you can get a prewired plug for it free or pay $10 bucks for it. I got the Prodigy Brake Controller with a prewired plug free with it.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks, found the wiring and the relay. Someone recommended the Prodigy to me, as well. It looks kinda pricey to what I've seen, but if it's worth the dough, I'm fine with the price.

I've read some people having problems installing, as far as leveling goes etc, what do you think of yours? I found a web site offering the quick connect free, too.

Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford 4x4
It setup easy,they give you a lot of angles to work from for a easy install.Remember you get for you pay for,the cheap ones are a pain too install from what I've read from others who went that way.I went with the Prodigy from what the other members said about how good it was and this site has a lot testers whos been there on doing stuff to thier truck,so they know if something is good or not.Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
I've got to echo what Wildman says. Price shouldn't be a factor on choosing a brake controller. How much does your truck cost? How much does what you're towing cost? So, if the Prodigy is $25 - $50 more than the other controllers, what have you saved by going with the cheap one if you spend a bunch of time getting it properly connected and need to continue adjusting it on the road?

There are probably better controllers out there, but from what I have gathered, they are significantly more expensive and are geared toward towing situations you won't likely encounter with an F150.
'75 VW Westfalia
'74 VW Super Beetle
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
You should have gotten the Tow package install directions in the glove box, which shows what comes with it, and where things need to be installed.

'04+ MY trucks only need one relay installed, the remainder is good to go.:
Click the image to open in full size.

If you did not get the directions, drop me an email via my profile, I can send you the PDF of the '06 trailer tow install directions ( also have the '01 version in case someone needs that ).

I went with the Reese Brakeman ( think that is the correct name ) ctrl'r for my '06. No leveling of the unit required, and it unplugs for storage in the glove box if you want to":

Few more install pictures in the interior album in my gallery, if you want some more options.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM