Towing & Hauling

Adjustable Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable Hitch Question

Are these adjustable hitches worth a crap. The ones that you can adjust the height of the ball. Can you pull the same amount of weight with them.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:15 PM
I use a Reese Hitch. I used to pull my 7500 lb camper with my 03 Expy. When I bought my 04 F150, I got the RV sales center to help me hook up to my camper. The F-150 sits a little higher. We had to adjust the ball down a couple of inches. Also, the hitch has some cams, where you can adjust the angle of the weight distribution bars. The guys at the RV center know what thier doing, thier the experts. For the Max weight to be pulled safely, everything has to be perfect. My truck handles the 27' trailer great, no swaying, bouncing, just smooth sailing.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Adjustable Hitch Question

Originally posted by treatcg
Are these adjustable hitches worth a crap. The ones that you can adjust the height of the ball. Can you pull the same amount of weight with them.
"a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."

as long as the (pin/bolt, whatever) that is used for the adjustment is as big as the pin that is used to connect the hitch to the receiver, it should not be of concern to you.

If the piece that make the hitch 'adjustable' is indeed the smallest piece in the 'chain', I'd look elsewhere for a hitch solution.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:22 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Putnam asjustable hitch and a Convert-A-Ball. Love them both.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 PM
tsc
I also got a Reese adjustable. It works fine for me, It's pretty heavy, and the weakest link would be the "bent" pin. It uses the same "bent" pin's to attach a regular ball mount. (so, I'm pretty confident).

Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to look at your hitch setup and see what the weight ratings are for each and every piece between the truck and the trailer. Look, read, research every link in your chain until you know the ratings of each link. Then take the lowest rated item and that is how much your setup can handle safely.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Valley adj. and convert-a-ball here and I love them to death, plus it comes in handy because I take it apart and store it in the box and stick it and the rest of my towing gear in a duffle bag. The bag is heavy as heck but makes it easier to keep everything in one place when its time to use. I do recommend you purchase 2 wrenches (if it uses bolts) to keep along with it incase you need to adjust it IMFN when picking up an unfamiliar trailer or take it apart for storage.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Hitch Question