Towing & Hauling

F150 vs. F250 GCWR for Trailer Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by canadian_screw
Enjoy putting transmissions in that dodge. At least you got a proper tow vehicle for that trailer
I have been warned by a few about the Ram HD 3/4 and 1 ton transmissions. EVEN by the service writer at Dodge. I knew him quite a while and asked him straight up when I was looking at getting a 3/4 ton a while back. The issue has been ironed out I guess, but it does leave a sour taste why Dodge let it go all those years. As far as Ford, I've only heard bad about the 6.0L . Now I don't pay attention to GM since they are one my ***** list.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Good choice on the Cummins. From what ym dad says on his Dodge ram forum. Cummins forum, the tranny's are strong in stock form. Add a chip and you start to lose reliability. Let's get some pics and specs. Is it a common rail?
I work up north, so when I put in the order for the used 2006 Ram 5.9l, it was a couple of days before i went up north for my rotation(owner was waiting for his new DMAX) (Yah I bought it at a GM dealer). When I got home this week, his new truck was not there yet, so the dealer offered me a 2007 Ram 2500 with 30000 km less for the same money, 6.7l but no leather seats. So I took it. Holy crap can it pull, and the exhaust brake actually slowed me down on an 8% grade. BTW the dealer had seven 6.0 l, four 6.4l, and a couple of 6.7 l fords on the lot. One of the 6.7 l only had 13000 km on it, and they can't unload it, I think it was the king ranch, and they are stuck with it. Couple more weeks on the lot, and this one goes to wholesale.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
I have been warned by a few about the Ram HD 3/4 and 1 ton transmissions. EVEN by the service writer at Dodge. I knew him quite a while and asked him straight up when I was looking at getting a 3/4 ton a while back. The issue has been ironed out I guess, but it does leave a sour taste why Dodge let it go all those years. As far as Ford, I've only heard bad about the 6.0L . Now I don't pay attention to GM since they are one my ***** list.
I know that Dodge did have some tranny issues, and I too have heard they have them ironed out. Lets hope so as I have the Dodge in the driveway now. Brought it home today and it pulled real strong and I got 21 MPG pulling at a buck twenty.
PS: Nice looking set up you have there.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by andersww
I work up north, so when I put in the order for the used 2006 Ram 5.9l, it was a couple of days before i went up north for my rotation(owner was waiting for his new DMAX) (Yah I bought it at a GM dealer). When I got home this week, his new truck was not there yet, so the dealer offered me a 2007 Ram 2500 with 30000 km less for the same money, 6.7l but no leather seats. So I took it. Holy crap can it pull, and the exhaust brake actually slowed me down on an 8% grade. BTW the dealer had seven 6.0 l, four 6.4l, and a couple of 6.7 l fords on the lot. One of the 6.7 l only had 13000 km on it, and they can't unload it, I think it was the king ranch, and they are stuck with it. Couple more weeks on the lot, and this one goes to wholesale.
Great call, my school is no longer buying diesels. They are horrid to have at low speeds as they clog up. I asked why they haven't looked at Dodge's with Cummins but I guess they have a Ford contract. So gas from here on out. The 6.7 Cummins seems like a solid engine and if I were buying a new truck it would be a new Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. The 6.7 Ford's seem to have a lot of issues due to emissions. At my Dad's work (Logan Airport) they will only buy gas now because of engine issues on these brand new trucks Good luck with her

Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Great call, my school is no longer buying diesels. They are horrid to have at low speeds as they clog up. I asked why they haven't looked at Dodge's with Cummins but I guess they have a Ford contract. So gas from here on out. The 6.7 Cummins seems like a solid engine and if I were buying a new truck it would be a new Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. The 6.7 Ford's seem to have a lot of issues due to emissions. At my Dad's work (Logan Airport) they will only buy gas now because of engine issues on these brand new trucks Good luck with her
I know the 6.7 Cummins DPF can clog if you run them easy, but as I live an hour from the closest city, she will get a good run going shopping. If I stick to the speed limit of 100 kph, I may need to run in fifth gear. 100kph in sixth gear, and she's only running at 1500rpm, In fifth, she runs just under 2100rpm. Any new diesel is not meant to idle, Ford, Dmax, Cummins, Cat, Detroit, they are all in the same boat. I have seen a lot of 3500 series Cat engines with BIG damage from the new emission regulations.
Nothing wrong with the gas engine, but they will miss the pulling power of a diesel.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I dunno about where you are, but here diesel fuel costs more than premium gas. The V-10 definitely sucks gas unloaded, but it doesn't drop that much when you tow. I have a friend who had a V-10 Excursion, it used to get about 9 mpg towing a tall boxy 7000# bumper pull. That's no worse than people who have F-150's with a 5.4 get towing the same type of rig.
Where I am, diesel is the same price as regular 87 octane, which is still to expensive.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by andersww
I know the 6.7 Cummins DPF can clog if you run them easy, but as I live an hour from the closest city, she will get a good run going shopping. If I stick to the speed limit of 100 kph, I may need to run in fifth gear. 100kph in sixth gear, and she's only running at 1500rpm, In fifth, she runs just under 2100rpm. Any new diesel is not meant to idle, Ford, Dmax, Cummins, Cat, Detroit, they are all in the same boat. I have seen a lot of 3500 series Cat engines with BIG damage from the new emission regulations.
Nothing wrong with the gas engine, but they will miss the pulling power of a diesel.
Yeah the International MaxxForce engines I drive at work are a joy to say the least... they are buses and buses do a lot of low speeds and idling so I bet you can see the issues we have with them

Quick Reply: F150 vs. F250 GCWR for Trailer Towing