Towing & Hauling

How much can I tow in my SuperCab?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can I tow in my SuperCab?

I need to know how much I can tow in my 2000 F150 Auto 4x4 SuperCab with 5.4 LTR and 3.55 LTD Axle. I'm in Orlando and need to pick a 7000 pound boat up from Pensacola. It's about a 450 mile trip, and I'd only be towing the boat one way. Will my truck beable to handle this without any problems to the truck in any way?

Old 09-06-2003, 01:23 AM
I think you should be fine. You should be within your tow capacity. Plus, its just a 1 way thing, not like every weekend. If you ever need more acceleration or a very steep hill, theres always 4x4 low.

- Rick -

Old 09-06-2003, 10:33 AM
You might want to consider your hitch capacities. My hitch has a tongue weight max. of 850 lbs. The max. on trailer weight it will pull with a weight distributing hitch is 6000 lbs. Fortunately my tongue weight is 640 lbs. and the trailer weighs 5400 lbs. ready to camp. Another consideration is how are you going to stop all that weight? Hopefully the boat trailer has electric brakes but do you have a brake controler on your truck? If you add 7000 lbs. to your weight without a proper brake set up I think you will scare yourself to death. I wouldn't do it myself.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:46 PM
If you look at the chart at the top of the towing forum, you will find that your truck is capable of towing 7,700 Lbs by Fords recommendations. The stock bumper will only handle 5000 Lbs. If you take at look at Florida towing laws, you will see that you need trailer brakes for anything over 3000 Lbs.

Therefore, get yourself a brake controller, a proper frame mounted receiver, don't add too much extra gear and you will be fine. I tow 4500 - 5000 lbs with my 98 4.2 5-speed supercab and it does just fine. I have 194,000 kms on it and have never had a problem. Just remember that you're not in any drag races and you will be fine. GlennMc.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:18 PM
The state of the art and most respected brake controller right now is the Prodigy by tekonsha. I have the Voyager on my Ford and the Prodigy on my GMC and the Prodigy is by far the easiest to set up and install, plus it works very smoothly. You can go to Tekonsha.com and look at them. Also check out woodalls.com and go to the towing forums and you will find a world of very good advice from people that tow a lot. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most boat trailers will have hydraulic "surge brakes". If the coupler part has the big piston and a resovoir on it, then it has surge brakes. They apply when you brake and then the tongue pushes forward pushing the piston which applies the trailer brakes.

You should be ok, but no gurantee on "without any problems to the truck in any way?"

That's a lot of weight.......... Pump up those tires to the max cold PSI rating per the TIRE specs. Leave lots of room between you and the car in front of you. Don't be in a hurry and just take your time.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2003, 02:18 PM
The good thing is Florida is mostly flat. The bad thing is Orlando sucks when towing anything. I towed a 4000 lbs trailor with my wifes Explorer through Orlando and Tampa and quickly consumed large quantities of adult beverages once stopped. It took nearly 4 months to get my fingernail marks out of the steering wheel.

Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of room in the cities.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Yeah I noticed that. You have NO idea how inconsiderate other drivers are until you have something heavy behind you. I almost killed a few clueless idiots driving BMWs and Lexus SUV's
People don't think twice about cutting you off and slamming on the brakes.,,,,98

Old 09-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Like everyone has indicated, towing the weight isn't the problem - your truck will handle it - stopping is the hard part.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:12 AM
That is correct, most boat trailers do have surge brakes, why do you say.... Well electric brakes and water don't mix sense the axle is submerdged in water when luanching the boat... Just because there 4 lanes of highway doesn't mean you have to be in the far left lane... Take it easy and you should be fine.
P.S. Get a pair of SNAP on TOWING MIRRORS for your truck it makes seeing those BMWs and LEXUS SUVs easier.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:47 AM
You guys are right about the surge brakes. Sorry bout that. I have never been able to afford a boat big enough to require surge brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much can I tow in my SuperCab?