Go Back   F150online Forums > Special Interest > Towing & Hauling
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-05-2003, 02:42 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150
Towing a horse trailer with a 1998 4.6 V8

Hey everyone,

I've got a friend who has to move her horse from where it is at now but has no truck to do it, but has a horse trailer, I am not sure of anything else except for the fact that it is dual axle. Sorry about that, and that it is just one horse. I have a Drawtite receiver hitch on my truck that is rated according to the hitch at 2.5 tons. I am pulling it with my 1998 F-150 4.6 Liter V8 Automatic Tranny with the axle code "19" that I took off of the driver's door jamb. It does not have the factory tow package. My question is, do you all think that my truck could handle towing this trailer in the current configuration? If you are not sure, what do you have questions about? I am not sure about the gear ratio on the truck, and it does not have the 7 pin trailer connector, just 4 pin. Please post your comments as soon as possible. Thanks so much.

New Truck: Oxford White 08 F-150 Supercrew XL 4x4 6.5' bed - PTM upper bumper, grill surround, mirror covers and handles, Roush grill, OEM CD6 MP3 Changer, Brandmotion iPod control/iPod Nano, XLT HVAC vents and center jumpseat/storage, Viper 5901/SmartStart/iPhone 3G, Line-X with Black Xtra, 09 XL Badges, XLT seat covers to be installed

Old Truck: Pacific Green 98 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4 6.5' bed
Old 06-05-2003, 02:43 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150
By the way, it will be on a flat interstate most of the way, and the trip is only a hour and half driving.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to joemac53
Your truck will have plenty of power. You can get a 4-7 pin adapter at a place like Autozone.

Make sure the ball hitch has a pin to keep it from popping, or a collar that will go over the end ( for a hitch that has a pivot opening).

I tow a dual axle trailer, usually with one horse, and there is never a problem. I have gone 200 miles with a horse. and the horse came out with no problems. (Just keep feeding and watering them!)
Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4x4
One horse & trailer, and only an hour and a half driving on a flat interstate = easy job for your 4.6

Even with a clydesdale.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM