SYNC stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SYNC stopped working

My Sync stopped working in my 2012 F-150. Pressing the phone, aux, or voice command buttons do nothing. I also have no icon showing my phone is connected. I have pulled the Sync fuse for a few minutes and restarted the vehicle which works until I shut off my vehicle. When restarting the truck it does not work (same problems). When I have had Sync running I have done a Master Reset and tried to load the latest update but I get an error message saying the update file can not be located. I have tried several thumb drives as well as a hard drive. I don't want to have to pull fuse overtime I go to start my vehicle. I have seen posts that say I would have to visit the dealer. What exactly is the dealer going to do and how much is that going to cost me? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by braggster
My Sync stopped working in my 2012 F-150. Pressing the phone, aux, or voice command buttons do nothing. I also have no icon showing my phone is connected. I have pulled the Sync fuse for a few minutes and restarted the vehicle which works until I shut off my vehicle. When restarting the truck it does not work (same problems). When I have had Sync running I have done a Master Reset and tried to load the latest update but I get an error message saying the update file can not be located. I have tried several thumb drives as well as a hard drive. I don't want to have to pull fuse overtime I go to start my vehicle. I have seen posts that say I would have to visit the dealer. What exactly is the dealer going to do and how much is that going to cost me? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi braggster,

I can help with this. Do you have navigation, and what files/folders do you have on the USB?

Shaay

Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I do not have navigation, just the basic system. On my hard drive I have a folder titled SyncMyRide and 2 other files (autoinstall.lst and install.lst). I went to the dealership today and the guy there told me that there is no update available even though the SyncMyRide.com website says there is.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by braggster
I do not have navigation, just the basic system. On my hard drive I have a folder titled SyncMyRide and 2 other files (autoinstall.lst and install.lst). I went to the dealership today and the guy there told me that there is no update available even though the SyncMyRide.com website says there is.
braggster,

PM your VIN. I'll look into this.

Shaay

Old 05-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Hi braggster,

I realize this thread is almost a year old. I am having the exact symptoms with the SYNC on my 2012 F150, and was curious if you found a fix or if it is just dead in the water. The dealer doesn't seem to know where to start.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the neg bat cable to reset the entire system?

I did this after I changed plugs on my Eco. The USB stopped working on my Sync before I did this. It would say it was connected, but it wouldn't play anything.

After the battery disconnect, the USB worked again. The microphone still does not work, but I don't really care too much about that.. I'll take it in before my warranty is up for that, but like I said, not a big deal for me..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Have you tried disconnecting the neg bat cable to reset the entire system?

I did this after I changed plugs on my Eco. The USB stopped working on my Sync before I did this. It would say it was connected, but it wouldn't play anything.

After the battery disconnect, the USB worked again. The microphone still does not work, but I don't really care too much about that.. I'll take it in before my warranty is up for that, but like I said, not a big deal for me..

Good luck!

Mitch
Mitch,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have disconnected the batt cable, and that "fixes" it momentarily. Everything works as it should untill the truck is turned off and not used for a few hours. When the truck is later started and SYNC or phone is tried, only the radio and Sirius work. When "AUX" is pressed it says "SYNC" on the display for 1/2 a second, then reverts back to the radio. I've tried master resets also with the same result. Seems like the SYNC system is being pushed to the background by the radio? They tell me there are no updates available? I've tried downloading them myself from the owner ford site, but it keeps saying my truck has no updates available also. Seems like a 2012 system would have/need an update by now.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had an update on my sync already and did that last year sometime. Got the download from the Ford Owner site.

Mine will revert back to the radio after being shut off about every 3rd time. But, if I hit AUX, it'll connect to the USB again.

I've never had any problem with connecting to the BT for either a phone or an iPod. But, the mic does not work no matter what I've tried. It did work for a couple of months after I bought the truck. Then it started to work only from time to time, then it simply refuses to work at all now.

When the USB quit, it was working just fine. Turned truck off, went into a store, came out and started truck and it didn't work.

The update, resets, master resets have not made any difference with the mic. The only thing that worked to get the USB to work again was the battery disconnect.

Hope you figure out your deal.. I've still got the option to take it in under warranty, and will do that eventually.

Mitch

Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by boomrang
Mitch,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have disconnected the batt cable, and that "fixes" it momentarily. Everything works as it should untill the truck is turned off and not used for a few hours. When the truck is later started and SYNC or phone is tried, only the radio and Sirius work. When "AUX" is pressed it says "SYNC" on the display for 1/2 a second, then reverts back to the radio. I've tried master resets also with the same result. Seems like the SYNC system is being pushed to the background by the radio? They tell me there are no updates available? I've tried downloading them myself from the owner ford site, but it keeps saying my truck has no updates available also. Seems like a 2012 system would have/need an update by now.
Hi boomrang,

It sounds like the SYNC functions are not operational. Because a master reset did not correct the concern, the dealer is in the best position to assist. They may need to reprogram the system. Please make an appointment and keep me posted!

Shaay

Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Shaay,

I think that's probably the next logical step. I'll call around to the dealers around here and find one willing to try that.

Thanks for the advice

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Ford Customer Service
You're welcome, boomrang! Reach out again if you need additional assistance.

Shaay

Old 05-29-2016, 11:00 AM
I have a 2016 F150 that is three weeks old and the Sync3 System has shut down twice. First time I disconnected the battery and the second time the dealer used the reset feature in the Systems Menu. Not a good option as you have to then reset your phone, etc.
Regardless, the system should not be shutting down. Dealer said if it does it again, they will investigate further.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 AM
Not a f150, but I have a sync system. I have all the same issues. It started when I bought the car, occasionally going out every week or two. Just did a sync reset, and everything would work fine again. A year down the road, the problem has further progressed, completely unable to connect to bluetooth devices, aux jack is unresponsive, along with the command buttons on steering wheel. The sync options were placed under phone settings, which can no longer be accessed, so I cant reboot anymore. It is perpetually defaulting to radio, or has media in loading limbo. Pulling fuses, and removing battery power doesnt do any good either. Has anyone had luck fixing this issue? It seems to be a pretty wide spread problem. Not sure why ford hasnt addressed it or why they are still adding pre broken systems to their vehicles.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I just got a fellow with a Ford Fiesta with the SYNC system and it's making loud pops and crackling out of the speakers. I found the culprit of a few components.

I'm going to replace them an see what happens. Some of the solder joints looks terrible, even tried reflowing them with fresh, juicy leaded solder and that still didn't help.

You may need to fix the APIM or replace it. I haven't worked on one yet to diagnose it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: SYNC stopped working