HD radio add on possible with basic sync?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HD radio add on possible with basic sync?

I'm really missing the HD radio I had in my old truck (cheap $175 JVC deck with USB).. But it sounded GREAT!

The Sirius radio is okay, but after the 6 mos trial, I'm not going to continue the service when I can get essentially the same thing for free with HD. When I'm out of HD range, I plug in the iPod...

So, I'm looking around and I see they have these "HD radio kits" that will plug into your regular radio and give you HD.. Will any of these work with the basic sync setup I have now? The pics of them show all these different cables and wires, but I think all I'd have access to is the AUX line in or the USB or maybe bluetooth?

Thanks!

Mitch

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM
I've been looking more online and it does not seem to be that easy of a thing to do with the Sync system... There are lots of systems out there, but finding one that will work with Sync is becoming difficult or I'm just not looking in the right spots..

I think my best bet is to head to a car stereo shop and find out from them, as it's their business to know, right?

Thanks!

Mitch

Old 02-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I asked an auto stereo place that has been around for awhile and was the ones who I got the JVC from and they said they didn't know of any HD radio add on that would work with the Sync setup I have.. He did say that the aftermarket is "working on it", so there might be something out in the future..

I guess I decide on the Sirius... It's only $10/month, but I can see myself only listening to 2-3 different channels... But, it will work no matter where I am at! Not like the HD radio that only has a limited range and limited areas that even broadcast it!

Thanks!

Mitch

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you said, you would basically need an external adapter, and in can't think of anybody that makes one. Good luck.

Honestly though, once i got my 06 King Ranch with Siruis Sat radio almost 8 years ago, I never went back to terrestrial based radio. The programming is way better, much less commercials, andnits like cable. There are something like 160 channels, but only about 4 or 5 that I really ever go to. As for the price, you can call and haggle with them. I generally get it for around $7 a month when I pay for the year.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you're in an area with a good HD radio station its better than Sirrus IMO. I was stumped on a HD Radio add-on for a different care of mine and Kingpin Audio, Wilsonville OR found one. They do very high end stuff and if they say it can't be done stop looking.

Quick Reply: HD radio add on possible with basic sync?