iPhone Google Maps voice thru SYNC

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone Google Maps voice thru SYNC

needing help troubleshooting how to correct my issue.

iPhone 4, iOS7, Google Maps, setup as primary phone, paired via Bluetooth, and SYNC. My 2010 F150 FX2 has the basic SYNC. no problems w 99% of my SYNC and iPhone and wireless bluetooth connectivity. i don't use a wired usb to iPhone in the truck.

I want (and sometimes it works) Google Maps to give turn by turn thru my truck speakers. Everything works fine if i start the Google Maps route before starting the truck up. in this instance, my SYNC gets a "phone call" from the Google Maps voice telling me "turn in qtr mile on Main Street" and the small display on my dash shows as an incoming call from my phone.

If i'm already driving and start a (new) desired route, the phone turn by turn voice messages will not come over the SYNC.

i've read that others are having similar issues with SYNC and other apps and/or phones/OSs (android).

i thought it was due to switching media after having set my maps app, but have now found that doesn't affect the issue. going from am/fm to cd to mp3 player connected via usb on dash plate, if the maps app was started correctly still receives the voice commands.

i don't want to have to turn off, then back on the truck w key just to get my maps voice if traveling and en route. don't really want to go thru SYNC commands to disable,re-enable bluetooth (or if that trick would work while driving).

anyone have any similar workarounds to make this work in a way i think it should?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM
after tinkering around and a few short trips w Google Maps on, the easiest option is to turn off, then back on the bluetooth/SYNC connection from the iPhone to get it to work properly. a hassle, but works in the meantime. trying to disable/enable the truck's bluetooth takes too many steps thru dash commands and is distracting while driving.

(just hit me maybe a voice command to SYNC would be easier than that... hmmm, more testing)

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by pagan696
needing help troubleshooting how to correct my issue.

iPhone 4, iOS7, Google Maps, setup as primary phone, paired via Bluetooth, and SYNC. My 2010 F150 FX2 has the basic SYNC. no problems w 99% of my SYNC and iPhone and wireless bluetooth connectivity. i don't use a wired usb to iPhone in the truck.

I want (and sometimes it works) Google Maps to give turn by turn thru my truck speakers. Everything works fine if i start the Google Maps route before starting the truck up. in this instance, my SYNC gets a "phone call" from the Google Maps voice telling me "turn in qtr mile on Main Street" and the small display on my dash shows as an incoming call from my phone.

If i'm already driving and start a (new) desired route, the phone turn by turn voice messages will not come over the SYNC.

i've read that others are having similar issues with SYNC and other apps and/or phones/OSs (android).

i thought it was due to switching media after having set my maps app, but have now found that doesn't affect the issue. going from am/fm to cd to mp3 player connected via usb on dash plate, if the maps app was started correctly still receives the voice commands.

i don't want to have to turn off, then back on the truck w key just to get my maps voice if traveling and en route. don't really want to go thru SYNC commands to disable,re-enable bluetooth (or if that trick would work while driving).

anyone have any similar workarounds to make this work in a way i think it should?
Hi pagan696,

You may also reroute your phone output via Bluetooth audio. I can't speak too much for the Apple side, in terms of workarounds, but I know that your phone's turn-by-turn directions should come through automatically if you're in the Bluetooth audio media source. The only drawback is that you won't be able to listen to the radio or CD's while doing this; however, you should be able to listen to any music apps or audio files stored on your phone without a problem.

Antonio

Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Not what you are looking for, but the one thing that works consistently for me is the USB connection when using apple maps. For some reason the apple maps work much better in the truck than google.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Apple finally solved this problem in Apple Maps in the iOS 7.1 update.

In short, the problem is that -- unlike phone calls or Siri prompts -- navigation audio was not being "forced" to the vehicle when the iPhone was not specifically chosen as the audio source.

Under iOS 7.1, a new control appears in the "navigation voice" panel of Maps called "Allow HFP Prompts" which forces nav audio into your SYNC system even when the iPhone is not the chosen audio source, just like an incoming phone call. The button appears only when your iPhone is connected to your truck's Bluetooth and you have started a navigation session, but once set, it will remain set for all future sessions.

A side-effect of this solution is that you can now receive navigation prompts while continuing to listen to satellite radio, broadcast, or other preferred entertainment.

After a year of hating on this problem, I found that the new control solved it entirely. I don't know how or if this solution applies specifically to Google Maps, since I don't use that.

More information is available here:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03...-improvements/

Quick Reply: iPhone Google Maps voice thru SYNC