USB won't recognize

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB won't recognize

I have a problem with my USB on my 2011 that the dealers can't seem to figure out. I have my music on stick drives. Sometimes when I command USB they recognize. A lot of times it says no USB device found yet if I remove the stick drive it says USB removed on the display. The sticks are formatted fat32. I have run disk checks on them for bad sectors on the computer and have check that all categories of the music files are entered. I even tried putting the music of each artist in individual folders. I'm out of answers. I've had problems with this sync system from day one with different problems and keep it updated. What a pin in the butt it is.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
I found mine does not recognize folders. It goes by the details page for each song.

On my computer, I right click and bring up properties, then details. Mine reads whatever is listed here as to genre, artist, etc. I was told(can't confirm) that you can't have more than XXXXXX songs in a certain category. I have as many as 400+ songs in category without issue on 8 gig USB drives in both my truck and wifes Mustang.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I open my music library on my computer in one window, open a 15gig thumb drive in another and drag and drop whole albums onto the thumb drive and it works for me.

Album info, Artist, Songs. It all seems to be there.

Windows Media Player, Vista OS.

All thumb drives are NOT equal, too.

I use mini drives by Hewlett Packard. 15g's and protrude from the USB port less than 1/2".

Walmart had them on sale for $12 so I bought a few.

Last edited by High-ster; 04-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 AM
I too am using the hp thumb drives. Just a larger gig. I tried them in my sons car with his sync system and they worked. Now when I put them back in my truck they seem to work fine. I think mine has a problem with indexing.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
I use USB in my 2011 and have found that if I leave the drive plugged in, it won't read the next time I get in the truck. If I unplug every time I get out of the truck, it works fine. No big deal as long as I remember to take it out; but I've actually had to reset the radio a few different times when I forgot to take it out and then it wouldn't recognize the drive. SYNC is definitely quirky when it comes to reading USB.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I tried to switch to using a USB stick since Sync will not Autoplay Bluetooth Audio. The first time I tried, it didn't recognize the stick at all. I re-burned the stick and tried it again. That time, it said that the device was not authorized to play copyright protected content.

I hate XM/Sirius and will never pay them a dime. I'm not plugging my phone in every time I get in the truck, not only because I might forget it, but also because the USB port is behind a panel that is awkwardly accessible due to the giant fold-down armrest/seat/headrest. 2013 Sync is a disaster, IMHO.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 AM
I've been listening to the same stick since my last post a couple of weeks ago. Until yesterday. It again said "no USB found". I put another stick in that it didn't recognize before and it now reads that one. I'm sick of these quirks. I'm contacting the dealer agin this week. Warranty runs out in 4000 miles. I want it replaced. Do they recognize lemon laws for sound systems? This will be the fourth time to the dealer with this complaint.

Quick Reply: USB won't recognize