Ford SYNC consistency Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford SYNC consistency Issue

I have three Ford vehicles with SYNC and Navigation. I have a 2010 Shelby GT500 Gen-1 ver 3.1, a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with MyFord Touch Gen-2 ver2.11 and a 2011 F-150 Platinum with Gen-1 ver3.2.2. I use an iPhone 4. The phone book is downloaded to the system. When using the SYNC system voice recognition to make calls, there is a huge inconsistency with one (the 2011 F-150) of the three releases! Here is the problem. In the Shelby, the SYNC phone book downloads the names of the contacts from the iPhone and "does not" include the middle name/initial field. In the 2011 Explorer, the SYNC system downloads the names of the contacts from the iPhone and "does not" include the middle name/initial field. However, in 2011 F-150, the SYNC system downloads names of the contacts from the from the iPhone and "does include" the middle name/initial field. Consequently, when you try to make a voice recognition call from the F-150 it doesn't work correctly unless you say in the command the middle name or initial the way it is listed in contacts that are downloaded to SYNC. In the Shelby and Explorer you do not say the middle name or initial. So, in two of the vehicles (one which is 1st version and the other which is 3rd version) I say "Call Ernie Matherne on cell". In the F-150 ( 2nd version) , I have to say "Call Ernie "A." Matherne on cell". Now why would Ford have a different logic for downloading the names for voice recognition between releases. I think that this is completely ludicrous! I can't get anyone at Ford to understand my dilemma much less sympathize with me on this matter! Is this what you get for having three vehicles with SYNC? I don't think so! I think this is an oversight in engineering. There is no way that this is the intended way for SYNC to work between versions. Consistency in programming the name fields for voice recognition purposes should be the same in all versions.

Quick Reply: Ford SYNC consistency Issue