How to Improve Handling?

Old 10-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Improve Handling?

Hey guys,

the thread linked below started over in the "Blowers" forum but it has turned into a discussion on ways to improve the handling on our trucks.

Anybody have any input for us?????

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...089#post725089

Old 10-14-2002, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad.,

Still researching. As you know, I am kind of perplexed right now with my pinging issue. KYfordfreak should be along soon.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:34 AM
I may be of a little help in this arena. I work at a parts store (no joke). If I can find spare time (hard to find) I will try searching what info I can find. We carry TRW chassis components and they are a very large manufacturer. Now I'm pretty sure TRW doesn't lift length or shaft diameter specs but there's ways around that. Now at my store we do not have a huge inventory so if anyone knows a really close guess I could get that in and check it out.

I halfway know how to use dial calipers and dang sure know how to use a tape. What do you think would be the best way to measure a pitman arm or how they spec them from the factory? I'm guessing you could go from center of the gearbox side hole to center of drag link hole/pivot.

Also, I might put a call into TRW and see if they can throw any knowledge my way. It might be a good idea if we could send them a detailed email.

As for bushings TRW makes a heavy duty stock sway bar endlink that uses urethane ( it may be poly urethane) type bushing. As for the control arm bushings I think Energy or one of those is supposed to have some out shorty from what I have heard. Check out a post by 98screamer about balljoints in the past month or so. He was the one that told me about them.

We'll see what can be done. I had no idea/didn't think about the pitman arm length affecting steering that much.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY,

Did you ever have time to follow up on this?

Old 11-01-2002, 02:56 AM
Well, yes and no. Glad you reminded me as I had forgot all about my this.

TRW's latest catalog we had (x-4000, 98) only goes to 98 on the F150 and I couldn't find almost almost any chassis components on the F250's. Their phone # is 1-800-325-8886 never di get to call.

A1 Cardone (phone# 1-888-280-8324) is my gear box supplier and they only have one box listed for the F150's and a few for the F250's. None seem to be interchangeable as the whole steering system is different on the two. I would say all they offer is the stock box as all their studd refers to OE design fit and finish.

If I find more I will let you know. You might wanna talk to iron horse as he might have worled on a few details. We talked about how someone could make big money if they would just design and sell one of these things.

Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 AM
Hey Mad., and FY.,

I have forgotten about this.....how could I? I am reminded every time I get behind the wheel...ha! So far,

I received an email from a steering expert that said he knew of no one in the U.S. that could provide a custom steering component to increases steering ratio. He did mention a company that may have a steering "quickener" that may work. I will "dig up" that email and call the company and post what I find out.

I am still waiting to hear back from a guy that knows the visteon (F-150) steering gear box manufacturing process very well. It may take several more weeks however.

After I get a tune on my bazooka boost pulley, I will go to a salvage yard and start doing some comparisons.

Old 03-03-2003, 04:48 PM
.....back on this project and not "gonna" stop until finished!

Update:

No known source for 12 to 1 constant ratio steering gear (box)

No known source for faster ratio steering "quickener"

Still have not found an existing pitman arm that will fit a 1999 F-150 and is about 15% longer than stock.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Goal: Faster ratio steering

Objective: 15% Longer pitman and idler arms for 1997-2003 F-150

Questions: Anyone know where to get these parts?

Or know of existing pitman and idler arms that will fit and are longer than stock late model F-150 parts?

Or know of a source to have these parts made?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Improve Handling?