Going to crank torsion bars....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to crank torsion bars....

Hi everyone,

This week I am adding two inch blocks in the back of my truck, and was going crank the torsion bars about one to one and a half inches in the front.

My question is: Do I need to get the front wheels re-alligned now? I am planning on a 3" body lift next spring when I put the 35"s on. Can I wait for the new tires to get the allignment done? I am not worried about the stock RT/S's, and thought that I could save time getting the allignment done when I get the 35's put on.

So can I do it now, or should I wait to crank the torsion bars until I put on the new tires?

Thanks, Kory.

Last edited by Kory; 10-06-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1-1 1/2 inches will be the absolute most you get out of the torsion bars IF you get that much. If you put two inch blocks in the back it's going to be noticeably higher than the front. Raising the front just will level it out. Getting the alignment checked afterwards is a good idea. Mine needed it afterwards (can't swear that it was from raising the torsion bars but...)but alot of guys in here didn't. Just depends. Everyone is going to be different. Once again though, IMO, I would wait until you raise the bars and see how you like that before you throw those blocks in.

Old 10-10-2002, 11:36 PM
I went one inch on my truck. Leveled the truck out nicely. 1 1/2 inches was a bit to much and it looked like i was doing a slight wheelie

Old 10-11-2002, 01:21 AM
So with my two inch block I should be fine.

Anyone know about the wheel alignment? I think I will just wait to see how it drives. Oh well I am going to do it this weekend, I will let you know.

Old 10-11-2002, 06:51 PM
I think your 2" blocks will but you right back in a nose low position. If you like that look, that's fine, but sounds like you are trying to get away from that but if you use 2" blocks that's what you are going to have. Go to my gallery and take a look at my truck. I know it's a SCrew but my bars are up as far as they will go and the nose is still just a tad bit lower. Here's a post that has some good stuff on front end alignment as well as when I got mine done.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90296

Old 10-11-2002, 10:29 PM
I do want the rear of my truck to be just a tad higher than the front. I don't like the rear to look like it is sagging. I think that this will look just fine. Thanks for the responses.

My original question was not related to the looks of the truck when finished. I have done the measurements, and even placed the truck on jack stands at the heights desired, it looks good to me.

MY QUESTION WAS: do I need need to do a front end alignment right away or can I wait til I get new tires? I wasn't asking about the height.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Sorry about the misunderstanding but if you went to the post I attached that should have answered those questions also. The only way to know if it "needs" an alignment is to have it checked. Then you might as well get it aligned. No two trucks are going to be the same. Mine needed one, bad. It was toe'd in waaaay to much which will eat up the outside edges of the tires pretty quick. Can you wait till you get new tires? You can do what ever you want. Just that if it needs it, you may be shopping for tires earlier than planned. Your call, because there's no way to tell.

Old 10-12-2002, 04:55 AM
Thanks Galaxy,

I had tried to read the attachment but it wouldn't open. I am going to get it aligned right away, just to be safe. Don't realy care about the RT/S's on my truck, but just to beon the safe side, you know.

Old 10-12-2002, 10:31 PM
I have a 1990 4X4 supercab, I took out the stock 2" lift blocks and installed the trail master 4" blocks with the angle already cut (to keep driveline in good shape) , then I have the front torsion bars almost maxxed out and it sits nearly level with the rear just slightly higher, really looks good though. Front rides a little stiff, but maybe some ranchos 9000's set fairly soft will help?

Old 10-14-2002, 11:17 PM
Well, I added the the blocks, and cranked the torsion bars today! I am very happy with the way it turned out. I am also suprised at how easy the torsion bar thing was! I cranked them one inch exactly, and they are even on both sides. I could still go a ways more because there was plenty of threads left on the bolts. But I think that one inch looks just fine. Thanks for the answers to my questions. I am sure I will have plenty more question when my 3" PA body lift gets here.
Thanks again, Kory.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Well, if it were me I would get an alignment. To many parts upfront on these IFS trucks that can wearout.
Also, just beacuse there's still threads useable on the bolt doesn't mean you could crank it more and get away with it. Sure you could physically do it but the after effect is the concern. After about 3-5 turns you start to cause lots of stress on th cv shafts. Turning the torsion bar bolts is not a true heighth adjustment part IMO. It's there for ride damping features. Of corse the tighter the bars are the less flex they give and higher the heighth. Just remember you now have more room for wheel compression but less wheel extension.

Quick Reply: Going to crank torsion bars....