Am I Insane......

Old 10-05-2002, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Insane......

....for obsessing over my steering? Maybe...but you are insane for typing this answer to your own question....ha!

In my continued quest for quicker steering, I asked someone who has a very stock, 99 F-150, 4.6, single cab style side truck with only 21,000 miles!!!!, to let me drive it tonight. I have a 99, F-150, 4.6, supercab, flareside with lowering kit, performance tires, hellwigg sway bars and a hard, flushmount bed cover with 67,000 miles .

I noticed a big difference! This other 99 F-150 had "tighter steering, with far less "play" in the steering than mine ever has since I bought it used with 43,000 miles, 11 months ago!?!?!?
I am not talking about tire or suspension performance. Just the play in the steering was far less in the other truck.

My question is, If one truck has tighter-less play steering than another truck of the same general type and year with the only major difference being that the better steering truck has far less miles on it, what could be worn on my 67,000 miles truck that could be causing the play in my steering????? Idler arm, pitman arm, end links or front wheel bearings?

Is there a front end component that affects steering play and wears out faster than the rest?

Old 10-05-2002, 11:07 PM
It could possibly be any of the parts you named that could be worn out. I would have some one turn your steering wheel back and forth while you look under the truck and you should be able to see where the play is, if there is any.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:41 PM
offroadmaniac,

Thanks for your comments. I had someone turn the steering wheel while I looked at all the frontend steering components. I have no ideal of what kind of "play" to look for? Should all the components be "tight" with no play?

Old 10-08-2002, 12:17 AM
I know on the pre 97 models there was an adjustment screw on top of the gear box. You back off the nut and tighten the screw. Start with 1/4 turn. Too tight and youll wear it more, but it takes up the slack. If its different on the post 97's good luck.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:00 AM
spaceman12321,

Nice bike!

Thanks for your comments. I thought about that. On some of my older cars, I would adjust the slack in the gear box. It would make my steering wheel tighter to turn, but the "slack" or play in the steering and movement of the wheels in relation to the steering wheel only more pronounced (worse).

I was hoping someone knew which one of the steering components that tends to wear out faster and affects steering sensitivity moreso than the rest of the components?

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:32 AM
I would guess that your pitman arm and idler arm would wear out the fastest. I know that both of mine need to be replaced as it is. When you have someone turn the steering wheel for you, look at the pitman arm and see if there is any play right there. Then check your idler arm. When you are looking at the pitman arm look and see if the pitman arm moves with the rest of the parts. If there is any play there then it probably wont. Another thing you can do is lift the front end of the truck up and wiggle your tires side to side, and that should point out any play. Try that and let me know if you find any thing.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:35 AM
i know my trucks steering sensitivity isnt as tight as my mom's 2002 f150, but i like it that way. If it was like hers i know i would flip it. I dont know if it is my worn steering parts or if its just the fact of having big tires.

Last edited by offroadmaniac; 10-08-2002 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:20 AM
It could be the pitman but more so the idler arm. The pitman doesn't really consist of that much and doesn't seem to wear that quick. I can tell you what part you might wanna check out and replace.
It's the lower steering shaft the runs fro mthe gearbox through the firewall and connects with a u-joint type fitting at the steering wheel. I bought my truck ( a 97 4x4) used with 86K and it felt great compared to dads 94 with less than 65K. That's until my borther in his 98 4x4 with less than 50K came for a visit. His was much tighter, more responsive and less bumpy feeling.
I had my shaft replace at a dealer for like $65 parts (regularly 85)and $65 labor. That's cheaper than most as all the techs there drive F150's and Rangers and I talked the service manager down by showing him the price off of fordpartsonline. It and having my tires balanced solved almost all play, steering is tight again, doesn't jar when going over bumps, etc. The reason I said almost is I might also have a bad cv or axle bearing cuasing what play and motion is left. I do know of at least one guy on here that had to have his replaced under warranty (so 36K). So that means they can/do wear in early stages of the trucks life.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:47 AM
offroadmaniac and KY FordFreak,

Thanks very much. That is the kind of detailed info that really helps the mechanically "UNinclined" like me! ha!

Now I can go do some checking and know what I am checking for! ha!

I really appreciate the effort.

I have noticed over bumps or "washboards" I can hear and feel a "rattle" in my steering. Does that mean too much play somewhere in the steering?

Old 10-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

iron horse, I think your only problem is driving that other truck.

There is an old proverb that says:
"A man with a watch knows what time it is,
a man with two watches is never sure.
"

Old 10-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Raoul,

You have got to be one of the craziest and funniest members here!

Your quote of "Don't believe everthing you think" is very funny and ........true.

Last edited by iron horse; 10-09-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Hey not a problem, I know how it is. I spend my days trying to help people with car problems so whats a few hours on the computer every night. I just wish I could find an electrical whiz to help with this stupid fog light mod.

Raoul is a funny funny man.

You know that statement could be reversed a little.
" You shouldn't think about everything you believe in"
Whenever I do that I leave more confused than when I started.

I like the one "It's fine when you talk to yourself, when you start anwsering yourself it's time to be admitted"

Old 10-10-2002, 01:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

And don't forget you drove a truck with a shorter wheelbase, that would make it "seem" like it had quicker steering?? I recently felt like I had slack and sloppiness in my steering, and it was worn out shocks and unbalanced (and unrotated) tires. the truck was all over the road following ruts, and washboards sent it reeling. What could it hurt to drive it into a shop and just have it looked at. I did, and it saved me several hundred bucks in rebuild parts and labor.,,,,98

Old 10-10-2002, 12:33 PM
KYFord Freak,

Fog Light Mod? I wish I could help you. I just figured out which parts to get minus the wiring. It is going to cost me $160 for the brackets and lights for the L bumper fog lights (I really want driving lights however) So, more than likely not, I am going to cut out some black plastic and fill in the holes for now.....ha! I know when I did a search I found some posts on the wiring. If I can find them again, I will post them for you.

98',

I have taken it to two shops. when I tell them what I think my problem is, they look at me like I am nutts and say....."its a truck and a Ford" Infact, one of the shops is the one that did my wheel alignment after I lowered it and while he was aligning it, I asked him to check the front end for worn parts and play. He said he found none. When I went back to him, I asked if there was some "highperformance" pitman or idler arm, end links or some gizmo that would improve steering control. He said, I could get after market parts that have grease inserts, but no increase steering control.

The other shop is suppose to be one of the best in my state for truck suspension and they said there was no need to even inspect it? They knew exactly what I wanted and said it has not been developed yet. Although, this expert truck shop did suggest that I get a Lightning steering gear box. When I said that the Lightning uses the same 14 to 1 constant ratio steering, they said that, "well then, I guess your out of luck"

I have gotten the impression over the past 10 months, that if a person has mainly driven a truck, they are use to having some play in the steering and even prefer it. I have mainly driven sports cars and motorcycles. I am not use to it and can not get use to it.

The new 2003 Dodge HD 4 wheel drive has the fastest ratio steering of any truck right now with a 13 to 1 constant ratio. They use the same Visteon gears as our F-150s. I am trying to see if the gears will work in my steering gear box.

As well as you would think that there would be aftermarket components like pitman/idler arms, end links, etc. that would increase steering sensitivity??????

Old 10-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Energy Suspension is coming out with A-arm and leaf spring bushings for these trucks in January? That's your next best bet for improving the handling. I had them on a 67 Mustang, and it handled like a Porsche,,,,,98

Search this Thread