removing body lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing body lift

Im going to be taking off my body lift and tires for the winter, my question is, do i need the stock body mount bolts? Im pretty sure my kit (2" PA) came with different bolts to intsall the body lift. im not sure where the stock bolts are (if there even are stock ones).

Old 10-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Yes, I can only speak for the 3" lift, but I would think the 2" would be the same. You do have to reinstall your original bolts because the body lift bolts aren't threaded the length of the bolt, and you will run out of threads before they are tightened. You can also verify that different bolts were used in the first place by looking at the bolts securing the bed. If they are hex head, they came with the kit, if they are round, black, Torx heads, they are still factory. Also you have to address the most forward bolts. You might have to get a new bolt and nut because when your kit was installed, the original "nut" should have been drilled out.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:31 AM
just a question-why would you take the lift off for the winter?

Old 10-03-2002, 09:08 AM
As for longevity for the body lift and the likelyhood of not cross-threading or ruining the body mounts I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU LEAVE YOUR TRUCK LIFTED OR NOT LIFTED.

These body lifts are not designed to be installed and de-installed every 6-8 months.

Old 10-05-2002, 12:26 AM
woa, what a pain in the butt! I can see swapping tires for the winter, but that's like 5-6 hrs to swap a body lift! sounds crazy, leave it on. The snow in CO never bothered my body lift in 3 yrs.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:00 PM
if i take it off i wouldnt be putting it back on

Old 10-07-2002, 12:32 PM
kev
As others mentioned, I would highly suggest that you leave it alone. The body lift bolts are not made to be removed and reinstalled. They are single use fasteners or more commonly "torque to yield" fasteners. If you remove them, plan on buying new ones when you reinstall.

I'd just put on your winter tires and leave the truck lifted. Many people including myself run these these trucks through the winter and have no problems. Hey the one guy even lives in Alaska and he has a 3" body lift and drives the vehicle everyday as his standard form of transportation, hehe.

kev

Old 10-08-2002, 05:20 PM
if i take it off i wouldnt be putting it back on

Old 10-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still, just leave it on. A truck with a body lift and stock tires still looks just fine. Thats just my opinion. For the hassle of taking it off and finding shorter bolts, just leave it alone. Stock tires or no stock tires.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:24 AM

http://

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A RED 1997 FORD F150 AND I WANT TO PUT A BODY LIFT ON IT CAUSE WITH ME LIVING IN MY OWN PLACE AND PAYING BILLS LIFT KIT AINT IN THE PICTURE RIGHT NOW!!SO DOES A BODY LIFT MAKE THE RIDE AND FEEL WORST AND MAKES IT NOT RIDE AS GOOD PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!THANKS NICK owe and does u body frame show once u put the body lift on and is their a way to hide it???

Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, you really should have started a new thread rather than dig up one 5 years old. But hey, no one can say you should have done a search first!
A body lift doesn't affect your ride quality at all. Some of the frame will be visable, but not as much as some other trucks. A set of nerf bars or steps covers it up nicely.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
Man, you really should have started a new thread rather than dig up one 5 years old. But hey, no one can say you should have done a search first!
A body lift doesn't affect your ride quality at all. Some of the frame will be visable, but not as much as some other trucks. A set of nerf bars or steps covers it up nicely.
i agree (5 year old thread )

Quick Reply: removing body lift