Steering Quickener

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Quickener

Has anyone used or heard of a "steering quickener" that will function properly on our late model F-150s?

I have seen them in racing catalogs and on internet sites for GM 36-splined power steering shafts. These devices can provide 30% or 50% faster steering.
Thanks.

Last edited by iron horse; 10-01-2002 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't heard of those, but I have heard of quicker ratio steering boxes? What's involved with a steering quickener?? I wonder if someone would really want quicker steering on a truck, though. If I move my steering wheel from side to side to quickly I lose the ability to control the truck. It's like the pump can't handle the demand of quick maneuvers?,,,,98

Old 10-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98screamer,

I don't have the catalog in front of me, but in a Summit Racing catalog stumbled upon one. It is a small part that connects to the steering shafts. It would make our 14 to 1 constant ratio steering feel like 12 to 1 or faster.

I have been obsessed with finding a quicker ratio steering gear box or device to make my steering quicker for over 6 months now. Why? I have mainly driven Firebirds (4 of them). I am "use to" 12 to 1 constant ratio steering. It is very sensitive and in crosswinds, even though you get pushed around, the faster ratio steering allows more vehicle control for me. The faster ratio steering "feels" like it has zero play in the steering wheel and the slightest movement turns the wheels. I need that. Of course a truck gets pushed around alot no matter what you do, therefore, for me, that is even more of a reason to have faster ratio steering.

What made it worse for me, is that I drove a 95 chevy 1500 and it had more sensitive steering than my 99 F-150.

What I find very odd, is that I have been unable to find a aftermarket steering gear and or "box" that is faster than the stock 14 to 1. As I have stated before, I even contacted the "official" Nastruck F-150 steering rebuilder. He told me that Nastruck Fords use the 12 to 1 ratio, but it will not interchange on our late model trucks.

Locally and nationally, I can not even find a "steering expert" that can rebuild me a steering gear box with a faster ratio to fit a 99' model F-150.

Now I see this device called a steering quickener that connects in the steering system, but can not find one for a late model F-150.

Quick Reply: Steering Quickener