Thump from front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thump from front end

I've done a search on this and have not found a case that really describes my issue. My 98 F-150 XLT supercab makes a slight "thump" in the front-end when I turn the steering wheel, even slightly. It seems if I am at a complete stop, wheels pointed straight ahead, if I turn the wheel to the right just a little, I hear a "thump". Nothing big, I don't recall noticing it on moving turns or anything but it may be there. I can make it happen almost anytime I am stopped. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Can oyu tell where it's coming from? Does it feel like in the front wheels/frontend or does it feel like the steering wheel. I have/had both feelings in my steering. The first problem was the lower steering shaft. It finally got to where when traveling and turning slightly you would feel a bump bump bump feeling in the steering. Had it replaced, cost at dealer about $80 for part, 1 hour labor.
The other problem I have now is when I come to a stop and like you turn the wheel slightly when stopping or after stopping a get a pretty good thump and pop sound from the frontend. I know something is binding up then releasing just do not know what yet. Balljoints are new, lower steering shaft new, hub bearings (4x4 only) have about 15K, shocks 15K old, brakes 15K old. I think it must be a cv shaft, idler arm, or the hub bearing again.

Old 09-18-2002, 03:31 PM
I just had my truck worked on under warranty from a popping coming from the front end. I mostly noticed it in parking lots and low-speed turning. They said the pimtan arm was bad and replaced it because it "noisy" when the steering wheel was turned. It lloks the total bill they sent to Ford was $52.07.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:18 PM
I would definitely check out your pitman arm. My truck sometimes makes a very loud thump when i turn it at a dead stop, and i am pretty sure it is my pitman arm.
Hey, 36fan, did it only cost ford $52.07 to replace or was that what you had to pay towards your warranty? I know that i went to see how much it was gonna cost me to have my pitman arm replaced and they sad $225.00 , approximately.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Been a while since I have been on the board to reply. So in case anyone else searches this issue, here is what I did.....

I used a grease needle to lube up all those "lifetime" grease boots. I believe the Pitman arm has one as well and since greasing by this method, I have had no more "thump".

Just make sure you don't put too much grease in there. Also, seal up the hole just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Thump from front end