Shocks for 1"/2" drop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shocks for 1"/2" drop?

Well, if I can get a drop, I have just about figured everything out. I know what springs and shackles I will use. The knowledgable folks on this website have answered my alignment questions. Only one thing left: shocks. If I can do this, I will get 2" front drop springs and 2" shackles. I have a reg. cab short bed V6, so I only expect about a 1-1.25" front drop. I need shocks regardless of whether I drop the truck. I have been looking at the Monroe Reflex. My question is will stock length shocks such as the Reflex work? If not, what shocks does every one recommend for a 1"/2" drop? Thanks again all.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:20 PM
To answer maybe part of your question, I put 2" rear shackles on my Scab and used stock length Bilsteins. I've put 800# in the bed without problem.

Old 09-15-2002, 01:31 PM
You can pick up some Lightning Bilsteins for the front from your Ford dealer for about $35 each. Make sure they have the Ford style upper male/female bushings and verify the nuts fit the threaded upper post on the shocks. They sometimes don't put the right bushings in the Ford boxes!

Old 09-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the Relflex shocks, I've had them on for about a month and they are worth the $41 a piece. Ride seems to have been corrected, I do believe my first set of replacement shocks were SHOT! The body roll was greatly improved as well. I have a 2" rear drop right now, and plan to drop the front in a month or two. I haven't had any problems with the rear yet, even with a decent load in the back. The Bilsteins would be a decent choice, but the L valving may be a bit harsh. Lightnings have a 5.4 plus the weight of a supercharger. and not too mention big 18" wheels. A friend of mine had Lightning front and rear springs on his S-crew, and it rode pretty bad IHO. The truck seemed to bottom out too easy, and he went through several sets of shocks looking for a better ride. He finally yanked the springs and put the stockers back in. Ride was immediately better. Good luck with the shock quest.,,,,,98

My point being that springs are made for a weight specific vehicle. Taking into account engine size, a/c, towing pkg. etc...etc...

Quick Reply: Shocks for 1"/2" drop?