Lifting vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting vs. Warranty

Hey, I was told lifting my truck would void my warranty. Does every type of lift void the warranty? I.E. body, suspension, etc. Also, does it void every part of the warranty? It would be nice if lifting the truck would just void the suspension part of the warranty or something. Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about warranties. I'm going to ask my dealer, but I won't talk to him for about another month. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-08-2002, 05:59 AM
Technically, you would only void the suspension warranty. This would include every part of the suspension, including the steering linkages.

Many dealers would tell that it voids the entire warranty but that's not legally accurate. I think there is a policy at Ford to initially deny all warranty work, regardless of what you've done to it.

What it basically comes down to is that if you replace or alter a specifc part of your truck, you void the warranty on that part as well as any directly related part. Ford would need to prove that the modification you did damaged something else but it is up to you to take them to court.

In the beginning, a suspension lift will only void the suspension warranty. You'll soon find however that you need bigger tires. When you get bigger tires, you'll also want to lower the gear ratio to compensate for the loss of power.

If your truck came with 235/70-16 tires, a 33" tire will result in an actually gear ratio of 3.12:1 or a 35" tire will give you a 2.94:1 ratio after the tire change. If you don't change the gear ratio to compensate, Ford can say that you put too much stress on the drivetrain. If you do change the gear ratio, Ford can say that you've modified the drivetrain. Ford may or may not have a valid arguement, but if a problem comes up, they will reject your warranty claims.

I would personally hold off on any irreversible modifications until I know that the entire truck is sound. Say 1 year, unless you feel comfortable already.

Last edited by AjRagno; 09-08-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. The 1 year thing sounds like a good one. That'll give me time to save up for a 6" suspension lift too. But I don't like the idea of having to wait 3 years.

Quick Reply: Lifting vs. Warranty