cv boot repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cv boot repair

hiya peeps,

98 f150 scab has a pinhole in the front right outside cv boot in the first fold going from the outside in.

it throws grease when i'm in 4w, but the hole is soooooo damn small, smaller than a rounded pencil lead tip, that i hate to have to tear in there and replace the whole thing. the rest of the boot and all my other boots are in great shape.

are there any easy quick fixes?

MrPex

Old 09-11-2002, 08:42 AM
You may be able to patch it with rubber cement or a rubber repair kit (like for a raft). You used to be able to buy a CV boot repair kit at auto parts stores and from Whitney. It was a "split-boot" that you could wrap around the joint (after you cut away the old boot and removed the exisiting clamps) and seal with new hardware. I used one about 12-15 years ago in a girlfriend's car and it worked pretty well. Haven't gone looking for one lately though.

Old 09-16-2002, 12:28 AM
IMO I hate those quick boots. They never seem to seal very well (go figure they'll split from the factory, LOL). For such a small hole buy a tube of black RTV or use the above rubber cement trick and go one about your business.

Quick Reply: cv boot repair