Alignment after 2" front drop springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alignment after 2" front drop springs?

What is required to properly align the front of my truck after I place 2" DJM drop springs on it? It's a 98 reg cab short bed RWD with the V6. I only expect around an 1" drop, which is what I actually want. I have heard that the factory shim blocks have to be replaced with adjustable shims, and that it will cost around $120 at a good shop. What can I expect?

Old 09-06-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm not shrue, I hade my truck droped 2 in the front and 4 in the rear. The place that did the install had the truck realigned and everything for me, so I'm not shure what they did at the realignment place. sorry

Old 09-06-2002, 02:07 PM
country

To properly align the front end you may need the cam bolts and washers for the upper control arms.

I lowered my truck 3" in front (1" spring and 2" control arm) and installed the cam bolts and washers. The camber was within spec., so the alignment shop didn't even touch them. So you may not need them at all.

I was quoted $100 for the parts and $150 labor by one shop but you can easily do it your self in about 30 minutes.

Just raise the side you want change with the jack under the lower control arm so there is no tension on the upper arm.
Remove the wheel and then remove the bolts in the upper control arm taking note of how they are installed. Then just install the new bolts and washers and reuse the nuts.

You will need to rotate the cams as you install them to fit in the bracket correctly just do one bolt at a time and don't move the arm while you have the bolt out.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1666

Old 09-06-2002, 02:48 PM
Well, I have some more information. I called the two shops I trust with alignment, and found out the same thing with two different prices. It seems all I will need is a cam kit. However, I won't know what kit I need until they put it on the rack and get measurements. Bummer because I can't buy the kit and install it myself. Now the prices. One shop quoted around $165, and the latter around $130. Now I'm whining again because I have enough money to get my rear sway bar, 2" rear drop shackles, and front 2" drop springs. But I don't have another $130 for the stinking aligment. Decision time, four corner drop and no sway bar, or sway bar and 2" rear leveling drop and wait for front springs.

Old 09-06-2002, 11:19 PM
There really isn't a kit for the alignment. The cams on the bolt and the washer (fits on the end of the bolt which has a D shape instead of round) allow the upper control arm to be adjusted by turning the head of the bolt. I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow. The other adjustment will be the toe which is done with the tie rod ends.

If you look at my invoice above you will see that there are four bolts and four washers. The price for these recently dropped almost in half. You should be able to get these from any dealer and do it yourself.

HiO

Old 09-07-2002, 12:50 AM
I just recently had my frontend done after I installed new tires. The shop did the cam kit install and alignment for $111.00. As you can see, the cam alignment kit will run about $50.00 and a good alignement will be in the neighborhood of $40.00 to $50.00. So you can figure the labor as $10.00 to $20.00 to install the cam kit.

Don't get your front end aligned until you are through with dropping the frontend. If you add springs later, you will have to get the frontend aligned all over again.

Old 09-09-2002, 01:38 PM
HioSilver: are there different cams for different lowering aspects? Will the same came you used for sure work if I only lower my truck 1"? Also, I am worried about the "springs setting in". I have heard that new springs new to "settle in" sometimes. If this is the case, that means after a couple of weeks of driving the truck with the new springs, I should get the alignment checked again after having it reset with the new cams. How much can I expect DJM 2" drop springs to settle on my reg. cab short bed V6?

Old 09-09-2002, 01:57 PM
The cam kit is the same regardless of lowering kit. The frontend comes factory aligned with no adjustment available. In order to adjust the frontend, the kit needs to be installed. Many guys have recommended to complain to the dealership about the frontend before the warranty is up and chances are you can get the kit installed under warranty. I would drive the vehicle for about a week and then have the frontend aligned. This will give the springs a chance to settle. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Ok, if I should drive the truck for a week to give the springs a chance to settle, what about my new tires? I'd hate to screw up the new Falkens I just put on because I drove for a week with poor alignment. How bad will it hurt my tires in a week?

Old 09-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Depending on how much you drive I would do it around 100 to 150 miles. It shouldn't cause any problem. If you're really concerned, discuss this with your alignment shop. They should be able to help you.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:54 AM
country,

Your truck will definately settle after a couple of weeks with the new front springs. I know mine did, about an inch.

Ask the alignment shop about their warranty on the alignment. The place I used said they would recheck it within 30 days so I went back after 2 weeks and sure enough the toe was out of spec. again.

My truck was very noticeably toed out after lowering it and would squeal the front tires on a turn before it was aligned so you may not want to drive it very much without an alignment.

HiO

Quick Reply: Alignment after 2" front drop springs?