Rattle in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in steering wheel

Don't know how to explain this complaint but I will try....I recently bought a '97 F-150 Lariat...love it runs great....but I do have one concern with it...when I go over little bumps in the road (highway, side street, gravel...etc) I feel a vibration/rattle in the wheel and can hear it as well.....and if I happen to have my foot on the break pedal during these bumps I can feel it there with my foot also.....does anyone have any idea what this could be...suspension? Truck has 80,000 miles.
Thanks in advance to all who help.

Old 08-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Might want to check all your ball joints, tie rods, etc...
Maybe check the front wheel bearings for the heck of it.
Maybe even just need some shocks.

Only things I think of, good luck

Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 AM
wings_023
If you figure it out let me know. I've been delaing with the same issue for months now. I've replaced all the parts svtoby150 mentioned to no help with the exception of the tie rods.

Let's see
both rotors and new pads, both front hub bearings ($229 each) about 14K ago- helped some and for a little while
shocks about 12K ago
balljoints less than 2K ago

I have had one Ford tech tell me on a test drive it might be the lower steering shaft and another told me the steering shaft was fine.

All that's left is cv joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rods. I don't think it's tie rods causing this problem. Not sure if idle or pitman would cause this. The cv's or the steering shaft deffiently would. This is all based on the assumption one of the replacement pasts has not failed. I will let a dealer check it one more time and try to pinpoint the prob. From there I might just use the warranty for new bearings, if not fixed, new shocks and maybe rotors and pads. From there I guess it's cv joint time. After that I plan to beat the truck into a pulp with the biggest BFH I can find or sell it.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:57 PM
steering noise

i may have the same problem too! it was fine til i put on my two inch body lift on and put on the spacer/joint on the steering shaft and theres a little play in the steering and it rattles a little over little bumps (dirtroads)! i guess its the steering spacer that came with the kit but not sure!

Quick Reply: Rattle in steering wheel