LOTS of questions about lifting my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LOTS of questions about lifting my truck

Ok, for starters I have a 2002 F-150 XLT Supercab, 4.6. So far all I've done to it is a set of Westin chrome cab steps and a duraliner for the bed. It's a 2wd truck. I have a ton of mods planned, but my first and most important in my eyes is lifting the truck. And I have tons of questions about lifting my truck, since I know absolutely nothing about it.

If these sound stupid...blame it on my ignorance...

1.) What do I have to buy in order to lift my truck? I've heard lots of good things about the Performance Accesories 3" body lift kit. What exactly is a -body- lift kit? Are there other kinds of lift kits, and what do they mean? (See? The ignorance begins. )

2.) Does lifting my truck void the warranty? I am buying my truck, not leasing it, and I do have a decent warranty on it.

3.) How does a lifted truck change the ride of the truck? Is the suspension still the same with a 'body lift' kit? Or do I also need to do suspension work as well as just installing the body lift kit?

4.) Will my stock wheels and tires still work with the body lift kit? Or do I -need- to buy bigger tires and wheels? I plan on buying different wheels and tires eventually anyway, but like I said, I really would like to do the lift before anything else.

5.) How much higher is a 4x4 truck then a 2wd truck? Will I be able to stare down a punk in a 4x4 with a PA 3 inch body lift?

Any other suggestions or tips from experience are much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:14 PM
I'll try to help you the best I can, seeing that I've also got a 4x2 and I just lifted it twice...

1. The PA 3" body lift kit is the best and most popular one on the market. All a body lift does is basically lift the body of the truck off of the frame. That's it. I got mine for only about $150, but I paid my local truck accessory shop an additional $400 for installation, because it is a pain in the ***. Total out the door was $550.

2. As far as the warranty, not sure.

3. No, a body lift does not affect the suspension of the truck and you do not have to do any additional work. I had my body lift done about 3 months ago and that was originally all I was going to do. Remember, your not doing anything but lifting the body 3" off of the frame, so the ride of the truck is not affected at all.

4. Yes, stock wheels will work fine untill you're ready to buy new ones. A 4x2 with a 3" body lift will be able to fit 285's for sure and possible 305's with some minor trimming.

5. A stock 4x4 is about 3" - 4" higher than a stock 4x2, so no, you will not be able to stare down a 4x4. After I had my 3" body lift done, I parked next to three guys at my work with 4x4's and we were all about dead even.

I was originally in the same boat as you. I had the 3" body lift done, thinking that was all I was gonna do, but I realized that I was only about as tall as a stock 4x4 after that. About 2 weeks ago I installed the Fabtech 3.5" Spindle Lift Kit, which now puts me about a good 2-3" taller than a stock 4x4. That was the best move I've made, as now my truck has a nice, level stance. The kit was $700, and I installed it myself, so there were no labor costs. So the total I spent to lift my truck 6.5" is $1,250. In about a month I'm going to get my tires, 315/75/16's, which will lift me about another 2" from where I am now. It's hard to stop once you start.

Old 08-27-2002, 04:56 PM
That is the truth.I have a 3" spindle lift and now want to go higher.Probably will go with the a arms and springs for another 3" of lift.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:14 PM
GLCOOPER,

I like the 'stance' of your truck. It sits nice and level. Is the 3" spindle lift all that you added or did you add any lift blocks on the rear axle? If so what size?

-W

Old 08-27-2002, 10:06 PM
315's will only raise you 2" if you are running 31" tires. If you have 33's, then a 35" tire will only lift you another inch (one above the axle and one below).

Old 08-27-2002, 11:17 PM
I was thinking about getting a 6 inch suspension lift and 4 inch body with 35's and wheels. i really know nothing about lifting also. If i were to purchase all the parts i need could i put it together myself. I mean... how complicated is it. could someone who has no knowledge of what under there put it together. It sounds like those truck shops really rip your *** in half when it comes to installation. 94 f-150 xlt 5.8

Old 08-27-2002, 11:29 PM
I'm in the same boat, um...er truck... Whatever..
I want to lift my 2002 SCrew 4X2. I'm wanting to go with a prerunner look, as there are none that I know of near me (east coast).
I'd rather do suspension lift over the body lift, but just how much is the question. I'm going to put fiberglas fenders on, so clearance will not be an issue.
I'm just deciding on which kit to go with, if I can install it myself (good mechanical ability), and will it be enough....

Old 08-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Thumbs up

butter-cheese: Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it. You answered my biggest questions.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Willum,

i have a fabtech 2" block in the back.

Quick Reply: LOTS of questions about lifting my truck