Should I put on my own Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I put on my own Shocks?

I plan to order a set of Rancho RS9000 shocks for my F150 SCrew 4X2 with 38K on it.
How difficult is it to replace these pupies or should I pay some fool $75 (or whatever the amount is) to do it for me?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Easy

I doesn't get much easier than replacing shocks...do it yourself

Old 08-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I agree.. It's much easier than changing the spark plugs!!

Old 08-13-2002, 03:19 PM
They are not bad. Need various size wrenches though (at least I needed them). Rears were easy with tire on. Took the front tires off to do those. Hard getting your arm and wrench in the top rear. Thankfully my wife helped with the wrenching because we did the anti sway bar at the same time. My mechanic said two hours for him to do it ($120). I liked saving that. Took wife to dinner for helping and still saved a bunch.
I did make two runs to the store for socket/wrenches so you may want to consider that and see if you have what you need.

Old 08-13-2002, 03:24 PM
do it yourself.
The back ones are really easy...the front are a little harder, but I mean, unless you feel pressed for time, its worth some time on a saturday to do it instead of payin the cash. You will need a couple of different socket wrenches, but most tool sets should have the ones needed. Not to mention, I like doin stuff myself to learn more about the truck i ride in. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piece of cake...

...at least it was on my '97 4X4. You'll need 18 and 22 mm deep sockets, I think. Rears were harder than the fronts, but your 2X4 is different in front, probably.

The trick on the rear is to keep the shock shaft from turning while you unscrew the top mounting nut. There is a flat "land" under the shock nut/on top of the shock body that you can put a wrench on to keep shaft from turning. Needs to be a thin wrench.

A bit of a long reach to the top mtg nut on the rears, but Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier than changing the freakin' spark plugs!

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up

Just put some 9000's on my 2001 F-150 2WD Sat. and Sun.
Put the back ones on pretty easy Sat. started the front ones,
like everyone is saying, they are a little harder. I had to use two
13/16th open end to get them off. There is a hose bracket that is
screwed on top of the front ones you have to pop open then take it off first to get to the nut. After I dropped both front ones, then I opened the box with the new ones.OOOPPPSSSS, they gave me the wrong ones. Had to reinstall the stock ones, drive 16 miles to
auto zone, they said sorry, had to reorder the correct ones, came in Sunday afternoon. Took about 30 min. each side.
Hated the screw up, but love the shocks.
Go for it and good luck!

Quick Reply: Should I put on my own Shocks?