Raised S/Crew Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raised S/Crew Alignment Problem

I have a 2001 F150 S/Crew 4x4 that I had the front torsion bars raised app
2-1/2" and an extra leaf installed at the back (also raised app 3" in back,
same attitude as stock, just higher, stock 16" tires and wheels for now).
Now I can carry my snowmobile without the truck looking like a dog with it's tail tucked between it's legs.

The problem is the truck now pulls to the left on the highways, but it seems
related to the crown (horizontal angle) of the road surface.

Has anyone had this problem with a lifted 4x4 ?

I have had a good front end shop and the dealer do several alignments and it
is no better.

Could it be unrelated and maybe a worn front end component ? It creaks
sometimes and has already had a couple of balljoints replaced under warranty. The truck has app 43 000 km (26 000 miles) on it.

Any help or updated alignment specs would be much appreciated!

Paul

pauleis@rogers.com

Old 08-03-2002, 09:14 AM
You've had it to a good alignment shop -- but are they also a good FRAME shop?

See if you can buy some time at the local repair shop to verify that your additions/modifications have been properly adjusted (ie: is the frame position correct -- are the spring rates similar -- do the reference points for location of frame and other 'stuff' line up with logic).

Did the alignment guy merely look at the alignment of the wheels, without taking into account load on individual wheel positions?

Did the alignment guy drive the truck after completion?

A good alignment technician can make caster/camber/toe adjustments to correct for any situation -- and uses the 'book' settings for an initial starting point.

Old 08-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately lifting your truck isn't quite as easy as cranking your torsion bars and adding an add-a-leaf. If it was, everyone that wanted a lift would be doing it. What you have done is throw the front end geometry out of whack on your truck by raisng your truck in this manner. The upper and lower control arms are at a much too extended position to be aligned properly. I'd suspect this is also the cause of your ball joint problem. With such sharp angles, the stress is much greater on all your front end joints. You are probably doing much more harm than good. These are the very reasons that lift kits came into being, to properly move all related parts to their proper position when raising the truck as not to cause any undo wear and tear on the steering components. My suggestion would be to lower the front end down to stock height, remove the add-a-leaf, get the truck aligned again and see if this cures the problem. If it does, get some air bag springs to help the rear springs when you are hauling your snowmobiles. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear and is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

GSCrew

Old 08-07-2002, 01:00 AM
I tend to agree with the others.
2 1/2 on the front t-bars seems to be alot of lift. How many turns was that? As I recall anything above about 3 turns and you run into problems like you are talking about. If it's been cranked (aka: lifted) way for very long it is a good chance the pull is due to worn suspension/steering parts
Also, it could be tire related as well.

Quick Reply: Raised S/Crew Alignment Problem