Lightning Suspension vs. Standard equip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning Suspension vs. Standard equip.

Whats the difference in the ride quality? Is the ride stiffer, less body roll?

Mine is very stiff and has little body roll if any. Is there anything different between the 2 other than ride height?

Old 08-02-2002, 01:05 PM
I just swapped out my stock coils in my SCrew with some fairly new Lightning coils. The Lightning coils are not as stiff as the stock ones resulting in a little more sway and bounce in the front.
I measured the difference in the metal diameter of the coil material on both and found the Lightning measurement is 1/16" smaller than the stock coil, which I assume results in the drop!

On a side note, I installed some 2" drop shackles and it put the rear down about 1.5" Right now, my truck is sitting at the height of a Harley. Looks much better now!

If you're considering swapping out the coils, I would contemplate some aftermarket progressive rate 1" drop coils (if that's the height you're looking for) to avoid loosing the firmer ride.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Thats strange?! I assumed the Lightning would be the better handler. I just want a 2" drop to get rid of that raised look. I figured the Lightning owners would drop there stock stuff pretty cheap but I don't want increased body roll just to be lower. Thx for the info.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
I would assume you didn't swap to the Lightning shocks either huh?

They work in conjunction with the two.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:37 PM
MustRide,
I agree with you. I "thought" the handling would be better too. There's no "progressive rate" built into the SVT coils like some of the aftermarkets. If you want a 2" drop, then buy a complete kit...like an Eibach or GroundForce.

Talleywacker,
I understand. I do have some Edelbrock IAS's that are a couple months old. I purchased and installed these before the coil swap. Before those, I bought and tried Bilsteins and found out they did not perform to my liking...much sloppier and more sway than the stock heavy duty shocks. The Bilsteins are collecting dust in my garage...only used them for 2 weeks. I assumed the ~1 inch drop would be compatible with the standard height Edelbrocks. I was told I could drop up to 2" with standard height shocks. I think part of my "ride" problem is the weight of the wheels/tires. I weighed them in at 85 lbs apiece, which is 20 lbs greater than my old stock 17" set.

Old 08-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Who knows, I drive my uncle's 01 all the time. HIs front end is stiff in the corners.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Not to diverse from the thread topic, but.....

Several of you raise an issue I have with the front coil spings.

When I pulled my stock front coil springs, I compared them to the DJM 2 inch drop springs. I noticed the aftermarket springs where only about 1/8 of an inch shorter-maybe. But, when I pushed down on the springs, I could tell that the aftermarket springs where "weaker" than my stock springs.

I thought that the aftermarket springs would be shorter and stiffer than stock springs. I even called DJM and asked them about this. They said that "it does not work that way". Yet, I have read where owners will have there stock shocks cutt down to lower their trucks.

However, with the lower springs, a larger diameter swaybar and different shocks (cheapo toxic shocks) my ride is "stiffer" than stock. Yet, I wonder if there is a company that actually makes "sport coil springs" that provide a specific lowering amount by providing a shorter coil spring and these coil springs would actually be much stiffer than stock?????????????????

Old 08-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Ironhorse,

The length of the coil must stay the same to work properly. I believe Eibachs stiffen up more than stockers with their progressive rate.

Talleywacker,
I broke down and bought some Lightning shocks (Bilsteins) at the Ford dealer today for $70 a pair and it definitely improved the ride. I can only assume the Edelbrocks are "position-sensitive" for the valving to work properly...therefore the stock size Edelbrocks were not working. Fantastic price on the new shocks! Comparing these to the other Bilsteins I had are like night and day.

Old 08-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Area 52,

So if I want a stiffer than stock (and lowered) coil springs, I need "progressive rate" springs?

You think the Lightning Bilsteins provide the best "sports car" type handling (stiff and controlled ride)?

$70 bucks a set? You mean $140. for all four? at a dealership???? Is that the standard price? Great deal!

Old 08-07-2002, 01:34 AM
Iron Horse,

The price on the Bilsteins was $35 each. I know the parts counter guy fairly well and he gives me a decent discount. Their regular price is $45 and change each. Considering they sell for $59 and up elsewhere, these are still a steal at the dealer for $45.

There are some very sophisticated shocks out there where you can spend $$$, but for our street trucks I think the Edelbrocks and Ranchos do just fine. I went with the Bilsteins because of the price. If I had more dough...I would buy the Edelbrocks...they provide a tad more control.

The progressive coils will have varying spaces from the center to the ends...the spaces between each coil get tighter towards the ends. Do a little searching on Google.com ...I think you'll be able to run across a picture of em.

Quick Reply: Lightning Suspension vs. Standard equip.